News AEW Dark recap & review: Young Bucks rebound

Wrestling News

The People's Champion
Legend

Episode 7 of AEW Dark from Nashville, Tennessee featured the Best Friends closing down Private Party, the debut of Kris Statlander in tag action, and the Young Bucks rebounding.

Here’s the lineup with ratings (watch, okay, pass) on which matches are worth your time:

• Private Party vs Best Friends (okay, rankings relevant)
  • Big Swole & Kris Statlander vs Britt Baker & Riho (okay, Statlander showcase)
  • The Young Bucks vs The Stronghearts (okay, best match)

Watch the show here.

Tony Schiavone and Dasha Gonzalez greeted us from the control center. No wardrobe changes mid-episode this week. Dustin Rhodes was guest commentator alongside Excalibur.

Private Party vs Best Friends

Both teams were ranked in the top five at the time. Orange Cassidy was ringside to support the Best Friends and maybe party with Private Party.

Charisma is off the charts. Can't deny @orangecassidy's connection with his... absent teammates. #AEWDark

➡ #AEW Dark Episode 7 - Nashville, TN pic.twitter.com/mApsZMKv3J

— TDE Wrestling (@tde_wrestling) November 20, 2019
The Best Friends controlled the momentum for most of the bout with Private Party having bursts of offense. Top teamwork move was a Doomsday superplex by the Best Friends. In the end, Chuck Taylor escaped Gin & Juice. Marq Quen was hung upside down in the corner. Taylor powerbombed Isiah Kassidy onto Quen. That led to a Best Friends hug.

Never ever change, @SexyChuckieT and @trentylocks!

Unless said change results in becoming even better friends. Because that would be pretty impressive, considering how strong this #BestFriends friendship already is. #AEWDark

➡ #AEW Dark Episode 7 - Nashville, TN pic.twitter.com/ZoK4v4r7PJ

A Strong Zero teamwork finisher followed to win for the Best Friends.

Big Swole & Kris Statlander vs Britt Baker & Riho

This was a back and forth tag bout, but it stood out as being a showcase for the debut of Kris Statlander. She trained at Create A Pro Wrestling Academy in Long Island, NY and has three years in the business. Her big moves included a tilt-a-whirl backbreaker, fancy leg drop, flipping senton, a long Oklahoma roll, and a spinning sitdown driver.

.@callmekrisstat takes Dr. Britt on a little trip around the galaxy! #AEWDark

➡ #AEW Dark Episode 7 - Nashville, TN pic.twitter.com/34cYf3UhtN

For the finish, Big Swole accidentally clobbered Statlander with an elbow strike after Britt Baker moved. Superkick to Swole by Baker. Kick to the jaw of Statlander by Baker. Baker finished the job by applying the Lockjaw submission to win.

From Undesirable to Undeniable

Cody Rhodes hosted Justin Roberts in this segment. Roberts felt undesirable in October 2014 when being released from a company that shall not be named. He felt undeniable when the AEW fans remembered him and showed appreciation for what he brought to the sport.

The Young Bucks vs The Stronghearts

This was a fiery bout. All four participants shined. My favorite moments of this match were El Lindaman throwing the Young Bucks into the corner...

A pancake slam by T-Hawk into a deadweight German suplex by Lindaman...

And Matt Jackson with a trifecta of Northern Lights suplexes then a fourth with both opponents at the same time.

The Young Bucks took over in the end and won via Meltzer Driver.

The main event with the Young Bucks and the Stronghearts was the star of AEW Dark episode 7. I’d never seen the Stronghearts before and I left impressed with their powerful maneuvers. I wouldn’t mind seeing T-Hawk and Lindaman show up on Dynamite.

The Young Bucks worked enough magic to leave their fans satisfied. This was the kind of win the Young Bucks needed. After having mediocre success on Dynamite and Full Gear, they rebounded well. One nitpick is that Nick Jackson no-sold his PPV leg injury on Dark but sold it again during the brawl with Santana and Ortiz on Dynamite.

Kris Statlander was impressive in her debut. She should have a solid spot on the AEW roster. One future match I’d like to see is Big Swole against Riho. I doubt Big Swole will earn a title shot any time soon, but this would be a good challenge for Riho while her next contender gets sorted out. The champ would be the favorite but would have to dig deep to win due to Big Swole’s strength advantage.

The Best Friends looked better in every way against Private Party. They were bigger, stronger, and more strategic. It could become a momentum win that starts a win streak. Tag champs SCU will need fresh blood soon.

This episode had a large chunk of Dynamite recap. I’d rather they chop the show length by 10 minutes instead. I assume everyone watching Dark already watched those clips when they happened live. For those that didn’t, they are already on AEW’s YouTube channel. It felt like a waste of time.

Last thought is praise for commentary. Excalibur did well explaining strategy and technical moves. Dustin Rhodes added his brand of aloof humor to lighten the experience.

Who stood out most in the ring for episode 7 of AEW Dark? Did any performances earn a raise to Dynamite?

Continue reading...

or Log in using

Latest Discussions