News Can New Day & The Revival save WWE tag team wrestling?

Wrestling News

The People's Champion
Legend

It feels like this feud could be much more than a footnote in the Kofi Kingston versus Randy Orton story.

There is no doubt that on Sunday night, The New Day and The Revival will have a hell of a match between the ropes. But what if WWE fans want some more story with their tag team wrestling?

The story so far

Since their call-up to the main roster, Scott Dawson and Dash Wilder have largely been ignored inside the WWE hierarchy. For every big win The Revival scored over someone like Roman Reigns, there were several mind numbing losses attached to the push of NXT’s former Top Guys.

As far as tag team wrestling in WWE goes, The New Day trio of Big E, Kofi Kingston, and Xavier Woods have been the gold standard since their formation. With Kingston now a full fledged WWE Champion and singles competitor, Big E and Woods continue to have great matches, no matter the opponent.

The build to Clash of Champions

Here’s where the argument for or against how the WWE treats the storylines for their tag team divisions comes into play. On the SmackDown after SummerSlam, Dash and Dawson firmly aligned themselves with Randy Orton in his quest to dethrone Kingston; FTRKO.

On one hand, The Revival have looked great working as The Viper’s hired guns. Orton, Dawson, and Wilder have systematically taken out each member of The New Day in new, exciting, and more violent ways.

This is great and has made for some good television, but are Woods, E, Dawson, and Wilder co-stars in their own story or just supporting characters in the larger Kofi versus Randy feud?

The go-home show

For the past two weeks, Woods and Big E have been out with injuries suffered at the hands of the newly formed heel trio. With the SmackDown tag team champions on the injured list, the last two episodes of the blue brand have focused solely on Kingston versus Orton.

So which team needs the win more? Does the outcome of either the SmackDown tag team title or WWE Championship match factor into the result of the other? Right now, The New Day have three titles wrapped around their waists; will they walk out of Clash of Champions with a 2-0 mark?

Tune into cSs for full bell-to-bell coverage of Clash of Champions Sunday starting at 6:00 p.m. ET with the Kickoff show leading right into the main card at 7:00 p.m. ET.

Continue reading...

baseballmm

babeball
IDKWTHIGOITMWW
I think it is incorrect to view the tag team division in the WWE as a whole.

Since 2016, the Smackdown tag division has pretty much always been good.

Whereas the RAW tag division has been a joke more often than not. Vince is obsessed with using the tag division to make his single stars of the time look good see: Roman burying The Revival, the tag belts being taken out of the division for the Seth/Braun story etc.

WWE can do tag team wrestling. Vince can't. And Vince's main focus is RAW. So that's why the RAW tag division sucks

Reactions: Grievous 3D

Grievous 3D

The Unnecessary Sequel
Legend
I think it is incorrect to view the tag team division in the WWE as a whole.

Since 2016, the Smackdown tag division has pretty much always been good.

Whereas the RAW tag division has been a joke more often than not. Vince is obsessed with using the tag division to make his single stars of the time look good see: Roman burying The Revival, the tag belts being taken out of the division for the Seth/Braun story etc.

WWE can do tag team wrestling. Vince can't. And Vince's main focus is RAW. So that's why the RAW tag division sucks
Good call...

I have to be honest & state I haven't really cared about any tag team wrestling
on the WWE main roster for a long time...although Slater & Rhyno were a great
team I really liked and the New Day/Usos matches were/are always fantastic.

The Wyatt Family (with Orton) had the belts for like a month or something...
and that was cool...but we all know how that eventually ended.

I generally always enjoy the tag team wrestling in NXT...but all the tag teams
are treated with so much more respect on that brand.

Honestly...the AEW has THE Best tag division in the World...so I'll just watch
that instead.

or Log in using