Chris Benoit - 10 Years Later

Nikki Nitro

The Beast
Champion
I was just telling my mom how I dnt ever hear anymore bout Benoit. A day later all this gets said. Talk about good timeing or something... lol

Stopspot

Now I’m a big, fat dynamo!
Legend
The final days of Benoit's life (probably the entire last 5-10 years of it tbf) were awful and how his life and the lives of his family ended is a tragedy. But it shouldn't be something we as fans, or the WWE as an entity, shy away from discussing.

It's similar to the old saying of he who doesn't learn from history is bound to repeat it. If we do not acknowledge and discuss and learn from what happened to Chris, Nancy and Daniel. Odds are it will happen again.

Billc

Jobber
Jobber
The final days of Benoit's life (probably the entire last 5-10 years of it tbf) were awful and how his life and the lives of his family ended is a tragedy. But it shouldn't be something we as fans, or the WWE as an entity, shy away from discussing.

It's similar to the old saying of he who doesn't learn from history is bound to repeat it. If we do not acknowledge and discuss and learn from what happened to Chris, Nancy and Daniel. Odds are it will happen again.
I can't remember whether it was pain pills or what. but they say his brain was "ate up" I remember. Then he laid Bibles down where his family was and after killing them killed himself. The last few years of his life I know nothing about. Someone who would do this couldn't be right.

Nikki Nitro

The Beast
Champion
On a spiritual level I believe he was batling his own demons. Not only that, I also believe it was also the damaging headbutts he did in the ring, too.
What he did to his family is wrong and I Dnt wish that upon anyone else. Whatever happened wether in ring or outside Made him snap. :emoji_slight_frown: The Question we will NEVER know is Why and What made him do such a terrible thing. Now he gets to spend an eternity in Hell.

Billc

Jobber
Jobber
On a spiritual level I believe he was batling his own demons. Not only that, I also believe it was also the damaging headbutts he did in the ring, too.
What he did to his family is wrong and I Dnt wish that upon anyone else. Whatever happened wether in ring or outside Made him snap. :emoji_slight_frown: The Question we will NEVER know is Why and What made him do such a terrible thing. Now he gets to spend an eternity in Hell.
Well if it is spirtuality you refer to, an "eternity in hell" is rather questionable. With the brain of an 85 yo alzheimer patient, full knowledge and consent to sin; is quite questionable. With dementia like that, do you have full knowledge of a thing for a "sin unto death".

Stopspot

Legend
I can't remember whether it was pain pills or what. but they say his brain was "ate up" I remember. Then he laid Bibles down where his family was and after killing them killed himself. The last few years of his life I know nothing about. Someone who would do this couldn't be right.
Chris took a lot of hits to the head. Both unprotected punches, chairs, going through tables etc. And him using the diving headbutt and doing it unprotected didn't help. His brain was basically mashed potatoes at the end and as was pointed out earlier in this thread by Jacob, comparable to a 80+ year old man with Alzheimer.

Combine that with pill, drink and steroid problems (all of this has been pointed out about him by friends of his. Chris was not doing well at the end and drank a lot to deal with the pain) and it was almost the perfect storm for something like this sadly.

The Chris that killed his family was not the real Chris most likely. But it was still a heinous act and should be a warning sign to any wrestler that doesn't worry about what type of bumps they take and what they put in themselves/how much

Killer Orange Cat

Quiet You
Chairman

It was a likely a combo of things. He was known to take unprotected chair shots to the head very often. Those diving head butts had to cause a bit of trouble and the drugs couldn't help either. But yeah, his brain was in REALLY awful condition when they autopsied him.

Stopspot

Legend
A fairly good comparison from popular culture is Dr Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.

All the shit Chris went through likely caused him to suffer some form of psychosis during which he didn't know what he was doing. Doesn't absolve him of the crime, but helps explain it most likely.

Killer Orange Cat

Quiet You
Chairman

Not to get all religious, but if you believe in Hell, you also have to accept that the only person who makes that decision is the God of your religion. And if Benoit's actions were beyond his control, which is likely due to the damage of his brain, I think God would understand.

The fact is, that fmri results have shown that people who kill have damage and decreased activity to the frontal lobe of their brain, which is where our impulse control is located. It is very likely they have severe brain malfunctions and I just think it would be awfully horrible of a creator to give a human being that burden and then punish them for eternity for something they have no control over.

• Agree
Reactions: Nikki Nitro

Billc

Jobber
Jobber
Chris took a lot of hits to the head. Both unprotected punches, chairs, going through tables etc. And him using the diving headbutt and doing it unprotected didn't help. His brain was basically mashed potatoes at the end and as was pointed out earlier in this thread by Jacob, comparable to a 80+ year old man with Alzheimer.

Combine that with pill, drink and steroid problems (all of this has been pointed out about him by friends of his. Chris was not doing well at the end and drank a lot to deal with the pain) and it was almost the perfect storm for something like this sadly.

The Chris that killed his family was not the real Chris most likely. But it was still a heinous act and should be a warning sign to any wrestler that doesn't worry about what type of bumps they take and what they put in themselves/how much
I agree with you in your last ¶ but eternity in hell isn't a merciful God but one chomping at the bit to damn everyone. Anyway what was done was indeed tragic. There's been this problem too with football players more recently.

Stopspot

Legend
I agree with you in your last ¶ but eternity in hell isn't a merciful God but one chomping at the bit to damn everyone. Anyway what was done was indeed tragic. There's been this problem too with football players more recently.
bruh I did not bring religion into this.

The Benoit case helped kickstart the brain damage in sports movement. Former WWE wrestler Chris Nowinzki is very involved in this .

Billc

Jobber
Jobber
bruh I did not bring religion into this.

The Benoit case helped kickstart the brain damage in sports movement. Former WWE wrestler Chris Nowinzki is very involved in this .
I think the thing with Owen Hart was later too wasn't it? Mcmahon doesn't let people come from above anymore either.

Stopspot

Legend
I think the thing with Owen Hart was later too wasn't it? Mcmahon doesn't let people come from above anymore either.
Owen Hart died way earlier than Chris if that is what you mean. And Owen's death was a freak accident (he was supposed to rappel down to the ring from the rafters in a safety harness but the harness snapped and he crushed his ribcage against the ringropes for those of you who don't know.) So it's not like Owen's death stopped people from going off the top rope or doing high spots. But I don't think anyone has rappelled down from the rafters since (except Sting in WCW)

• Agree
Reactions: Nikki Nitro

Billc

Jobber
Jobber
Owen Hart died way earlier than Chris if that is what you mean. And Owen's death was a freak accident (he was supposed to rappel down to the ring from the rafters in a safety harness but the harness snapped and he crushed his ribcage against the ringropes for those of you who don't know.) So it's not like Owen's death stopped people from going off the top rope or doing high spots. But I don't think anyone has rappelled down from the rafters since (except Sting in WCW)
OK I see. I couldn't remember. I wasn't really watching wrestling when Hart died. But I was with Benoit. Going off the top rope and falling from the rafters is quite different though. I have heard that sting was lowered from the rafters. And I can't say what they were going to do with Hart. I did hear too that they might not have fastened the harness, but that's probably pure talk.

Stopspot

Legend
OK I see. I couldn't remember. I wasn't really watching wrestling when Hart died. But I was with Benoit. Going off the top rope and falling from the rafters is quite different though. I have heard that sting was lowered from the rafters. And I can't say what they were going to do with Hart. I did hear too that they might not have fastened the harness, but that's probably pure talk.
They were basically going to Sting lower him. But the harness got loose and he fell 78 feet, hitting the ring ropes dead on at peak velocity.

Not the best way to go

or Log in using

Latest Discussions