Did Hogan vs. Andre deserve negative four stars?

Geese

The Showoff
Hotshot
I just finished watching Hogan vs. Andre at Wrestlemania III on FS 1 and Dave Meltzer gave this match a negative 4 star rating. I didn't think the match was that bad. It's not a five-star classic but it certainly wasn't terrible. The only comical moment was Hogan trying to piledrive Andre outside the ring.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brockster

Killer Orange Cat

Quiet You
Chairman
No, it didn't. The match had little to do with the actual wrestling of the ring. It was a match completely built on expectations.

Nowadays people always say "There was no doubt that Hogan would win the match." That's bullshit. I was 12 when this match happened and Andre the Giant was a scary presence at the time. Andre seemed unbeatable.

I occasionally watch the match and I still think it is a decent match. I mean, I remember when Hogan picked up Andre and fell over... that was like an "Oh shit, this is going to be over quick moment."

Wrestling matches are not always about the action in the ring. They are very often about the story and build up and I think the match did what it was supposed to do.

Also, if you watch the match, you notice Bobby Heenan is VERY involved in it. Hogan mentioned in a forward to Bobby Heenan's book that both he and Andre just wanted to do a lot of lazy holds in the match. However, Heenan wouldn't let them. He got the crowd going and kept pushing the two to work harder.

edge4ever

The Game
Technician
No, it didn't. The match had little to do with the actual wrestling of the ring. It was a match completely built on expectations.

Nowadays people always say "There was no doubt that Hogan would win the match." That's bullshit. I was 12 when this match happened and Andre the Giant was a scary presence at the time. Andre seemed unbeatable.

I occasionally watch the match and I still think it is a decent match. I mean, I remember when Hogan picked up Andre and fell over... that was like an "Oh shit, this is going to be over quick moment."

Wrestling matches are not always about the action in the ring. They are very often about the story and build up and I think the match did what it was supposed to do.

Also, if you watch the match, you notice Bobby Heenan is VERY involved in it. Hogan mentioned in a forward to Bobby Heenan's book that both he and Andre just wanted to do a lot of lazy holds in the match. However, Heenan wouldn't let them. He got the crowd going and kept pushing the two to work harder.
This. Also Andre was literally unbeatable. I believe until that time, he was never actually pinned or submitted, let alone slammed like that on a televised event. Just because people may have bet that hogan would win, it wasn’t a guarantee. Andre was like the Brock of that time. Just scary big and seemingly unstoppable.

czw787

The Artiste
Contender
This. Also Andre was literally unbeatable. I believe until that time, he was never actually pinned or submitted, let alone slammed like that on a televised event. Just because people may have bet that hogan would win, it wasn’t a guarantee. Andre was like the Brock of that time. Just scary big and seemingly unstoppable.
Not even close, Brock is a part time Triple H. Holds the belt hostage and usually puts the Babyface over at WrestleMania and gets the belt back

edge4ever

The Game
Technician
Not even close, Brock is a part time Triple H. Holds the belt hostage and usually puts the Babyface over at WrestleMania and gets the belt back
He was as big as Brock in the sense of seemingly unstoppable, not part
Time holding the belt hostage shit. Read first, then reply :emoji_slight_smile:

czw787

The Artiste
Contender
He was as big as Brock in the sense of seemingly unstoppable, not part
Time holding the belt hostage shit. Read first, then reply :emoji_slight_smile:
No offense but Brock lost in his WWE in return in 2012. So technically not unbeatable. Also Goldberg killed him in a minute and a half. Andre in WWE/F had never lost except for Hogan

edge4ever

The Game
Technician
No offense but Brock lost in his WWE in return in 2012. So technically not unbeatable. Also Goldberg killed him in a minute and a half. Andre in WWE/F had never lost except for Hogan
It’s a comparison. Brock has barely lost his entire career no matter who he fought. He broke the streak, headlines literally every event he’s at, and since he beat the streak, he literally didn’t really lose until Goldberg came back and beat him, then Brock beat his ass and kicked out of Shit nobody could. Comparisons aren’t meant to necessarily be exact, rather comparible. I’m saying for modern times, Brock is that Andre. Seemingly unstoppable.

Killer Orange Cat

Quiet You
Chairman
If I am not mistaken, Andre had been beaten several times and slammed by many men. However, two things: most people didn't know these things and WWF successfully made us believe they were true and no one had slammed Andre at the weight he was when Hogan did it. So the idea that no one beat or slammed him was widely believed and added to his formidable presence.

Reactions: edge4ever

edge4ever

The Game
Technician
If I am not mistaken, Andre had been beaten several times and slammed by many men. However, two things: most people didn't know these things and WWF successfully made us believe they were true and no one had slammed Andre at the weight he was when Hogan did it. So the idea that no one beat or slammed him was widely believed and added to his formidable presence.
Was this at televised events though? I’m sure he was beaten before, but at televised shows was he?

Super Saiyan Goku

I Am The Hope Of The Universe!
Legend
WWE promoted Andre as being undefeated for fifteen years but he lost to Antonio Inoki.
1. WWE only go by WWE Canon and for that time even more. 2. He only lose in DQ or Count Out matches he was never pin or submission in 15 years but there not going to said pin or submission in 15 years as that would be to long to said for promoting.

Super Saiyan Goku

I Am The Hope Of The Universe!
Legend
It’s a comparison. Brock has barely lost his entire career no matter who he fought. He broke the streak, headlines literally every event he’s at, and since he beat the streak, he literally didn’t really lose until Goldberg came back and beat him, then Brock beat his ass and kicked out of Shit nobody could. Comparisons aren’t meant to necessarily be exact, rather comparible. I’m saying for modern times, Brock is that Andre. Seemingly unstoppable.
No he not. Andre never need to be WWE Champion to to be as big as he is where Brock make sure to have the title on him alway.

• LOL
Reactions: edge4ever

Geese

The Showoff
Hotshot
He only lose in DQ or Count Out matches he was never pin or submission in 15 years but there not going to said pin or submission in 15 years as that would be to long to said for promoting.
"There not going to said pin or submission in 15 years as that would be to long to said for promoting." Who is "there"? Andre still lost those matches to Antonio Inoki! Even if he lost by count-out or disqualification, it still counts as a defeat in the record books.

Reactions: Brockster

ThePhenom97

The Last Outlaw
Hotshot
There have been many Legends who slammed The Great Andre The Giant. From Ultimate Warrior, Big John Studs, Kamala, and Harley Race..

They just handed Hogan the opportunity to slam Andre a WM3 because he did it before.

They should have had Andre Face then have him win the WWE Title

I know I know... But Andre The Giant with a World without Bobby Heenan sounds cool

Mustafar Reginald

The Lunatic Fringe
Rising Star
Not at all, it's a competent match that achieves exactly what it set out too. They did a good job of building up to the moment of Hogan slamming Andre, and I love the iconography of the moment itself. The match doesn't have anything else besides that going for it, and I'm certainly not calling it a largely entertaining bout, but there's merit in accomplishing what you set out to accomplish and there's merit in the moment.

or Log in using