News Double Or Nothing PPV price may give WWE fans sticker shock

Wrestling News

The People's Champion
Legend

While we got an announcement about their partnership today (May 15), there’s been continued back and forth about what kind of deal AEW and WarnerMedia cut for All Elite’s upcoming weekly television show on TNT.

After some initial confusion about the pay-per-view (PPV) portion of their arrangement, however, B/R Live cleared up the cost - at least for May 25’s Double Or Nothing from Las Vegas. That doesn’t require a subscription to the online streaming service (a glance at their site/app’s sign-up page can be a little perplexing, since they sell a variety of packages to view games from soccer and basketball leagues), but the show itself will run you...

Hey Cory! AEW Double or Nothing will be $49.99 in the US and Canada on B/R Live.

— BR Live Support (@BRLiveSupport) May 15, 2019
It’s a good looking card, and a historic event. But for wrestling fans accustomed to paying $9.99 per month in exchange for all of WWE’s PPVs, it’s a bit jarring.

One of the reasons the debate about whether or not AEW is getting a rights fee from TNT for the weekly program is interesting is because it will provide insight into Tony Khan’s revenue model. A $49.99 PPV price point - and reports are the cost on a traditional cable or satellite platform will be $10 higher - would seem to indicate All Elite will be relying heavily on PPV sales, at least for now.

Are you intrigued enough to spend what you pay for five WWE events to see Double Or Nothing? Do you have the budget for several fifty dollar wrestling shows a year?

The long-term viability of AEW may depend on your answers.

Continue reading...

Grievous II

The Cybernetic Cringe
Legend
I'm sure the price cost will lower once they get the
"ball rolling" & some merchandise starts selling.

Honestly...you can use the 5 WWE Pay Per Views for
1 AEW comparison...but its quality over quantity.

I'd rather watch 1 awesome show than 5 that are just
mediocre.

The Sheik

The Architect
Hotshot
You gotta be shitting me?.. $50 to go to a wrestling show.. especially for a promotion that's never had a show before. That's way too high.

Snowman

Chillin' with the snowmies.
The IIconics
Ooooh this one's difficult.

For one they're really pulling at the wrestling fans' heartstrings. "We're counterculture to the WWE. We went on our own and turned down Vince's money to go start up our own promotion." Like I want to support Omega and the Bucks for getting so over in ROH, in NJPW, to the point where they're selling out shirts at hot topic.

On the other hand they're selling pure potential. They're trying to become the next big-time wrestling promotion, and you're witnessing the "birth" of it. They're selling a hell of a match card and a more sports-like presentation for a show that could easily bring back some love from a wrestling fanbase that's having to look for stuff online.

It's exciting to watch, I can't lie. Will I buy it... no, I'm working then and don't have the money right now lol. But would I?...

I'm honestly not sure.

Reactions: Grievous II

Solid Snake

ɪɴғɪɴɪᴛᴇ ᴄᴀᴛ ʟɪᴛᴛᴇʀ
Chairman
The way I look at it is this...

If you are truly sick of WWE's BS or if you just want to support them because you like both promotions, then the cost isn't that unreasonable. They are new, yes, but that is all the more reason they have to charge a bit more. They need to cover the costs of paying all these men and women on top of everything else. $50 to watch the event is nothing.

Reactions: Grievous II