News Drake and Giannis are making WWE very happy

Wrestling News

The People's Champion
Legend
Milwaukee Bucks v Toronto Raptors
Photo by Mark Blinch/NBAE via Getty Images
WWE sends replica title belts to the champions of... pretty much every competitive endeavor they hear about. I’m honestly surprised the couples at the end of The Bachelor don’t get one to carry around for the two or three months they stay together after the season ends. Anyway...

They do this for publicity - to get the belt shown or mentioned on mainstream media outlets, and remind the fans of the winning team and the sport they play WWE exists. Hopefully, they create the impression your favorite athlete is a wrestling fan.

Sometimes it works out great! Other times... not so much.

But it’s never worked out quite as well as it did last night (Feb. 25) in Toronto.

The Milwaukee Bucks have the best record in the NBA. They’re led by probably the best basketball player in the world, Giannis Antetokounmpo. All season long Giannis (who is also known by the very pro wrestling nickname “the Greek Freak”) and his teammates (mostly his brother Thanasis, Robin & Brook Lopez, and Wesley Matthews) have been making wrestling-themed videos for social media.

"I'll show mercy today!" pic.twitter.com/xWNUBOJ6PH

— Milwaukee Bucks (@Bucks) February 21, 2020
Yes, Antetokounmpo’s go-to is Santino Marella’s Cobra. But that’s not the point.

With the Bucks looking to clinch a playoff berth, Giannis brought a prop to Sunday’s game against the Washington Wizards.

Finally...the Bucks have returned to the District of Columbia!! pic.twitter.com/A5TUGdDMWW

— Milwaukee Bucks (@Bucks) February 23, 2020
And, as they sometimes do, the guys involved the Wizard’s mascot in their pre-game match.

"We're looking for you G-Wiz!!"#FearTheDeer pic.twitter.com/50l4tHRAJY

— Milwaukee Bucks (@Bucks) February 25, 2020
Milwaukee’s next game happened to be against the defending NBA champs, the Toronto Raptors. Toronto’s most famous fan is one of the biggest music stars in the world, and he likes to talk trash from his courtside seat. Since the Bucks’ wrestling antics have been a viral sensation all year, Drake knew about what had been going on - and specifically that the belt showed up in Washington. So he brought his own to last night’s game.

Drake is in the building and he brought the belt with him pic.twitter.com/tiAuOaWy7v

— TSN (@TSN_Sports) February 26, 2020
I can’t tell if that’s actually the one Triple H sent the Raptors last summer. And I’m really not sure what the other one is, but it looks like the Winged Eagle on a custom strap? But as long as they’re name dropped as WWE championships...

You're in the Champs house now. #WeTheNorth pic.twitter.com/c6wI9Hhi7Q

— Toronto Raptors (@Raptors) February 26, 2020
So WWE is very happy, because this is being shared and written & talked all over today.

By the way, the Bucks won 108 - 97. But I think a regular season game is probably non-title, so I don’t think Drake has to give Giannis the belt until the Eastern Conference playoffs.

Another btw, the Drake curse is real. For our sake, hopefully it just hit the Raptors and not the entire WWE.

Continue reading...

or Log in using

Latest Discussions