NFL Goodbye Washington R-Words

Cam

Administrator
Chairman
I'm sure you've guys have seen this all over the news, but the NFL team that is based in Washington D.C. has finally made the decision to change its name. They've gone back and forth with this year after year, but Dan Snyder was finally pressured by enough of his sponsors, like FedEx and Nike. How do you guys feel about this big change? Was it necessary?

Also, do we have any name predictions? Seems like the name would most likely be some type of reference to politics, given the team's location. Perhaps it's time for a Washington Senators comeback?

Beavie

The BIG BEAV
LDW Management
I can understand having a name based on or to honour native americans, but naming your team "Redskins" is almost the same as calling a team the N-words. Like the Blackhawks in the NHL I get since that is a tribe name, Redskins, no.

Name, idc, just something that sounds decent.

Brockster

Brock Lesnar
Legend
I personally think it's a bit ridiculous that they have to change name... But I think they should have changed it in the first place, years ago when it was first called out as racist. Why wait for so long?

Beavie

The BIG BEAV
LDW Management
I personally think it's a bit ridiculous that they have to change name... But I think they should have changed it in the first place, years ago when it was first called out as racist. Why wait for so long?
Hardheadedness and a mentality of "OOOOOH fuck the snowflakes."

Brockster

Brock Lesnar
Legend
Hardheadedness and a mentality of "OOOOOH fuck the snowflakes."
Well, I never thought in my life that redskins was a racist or offensive thing to say, it was just a football team to me. I get it can be offensive for natives and that's okay. But it's just the name of the team it's not that important, they should have changed it long ago instead of dragging it for years... smh.

Cam

Administrator
Chairman
Well, I never thought in my life that redskins was a racist or offensive thing to say, it was just a football team to me. I get it can be offensive for natives and that's okay. But it's just the name of the team it's not that important, they should have changed it long ago instead of dragging it for years... smh.
Dan Snyder has sworn up and down for years that he’d never change the name. All of these sponsors showed who the real boss is. Anyways, Snyder has a much bigger controversy going on now.

Reactions: Brockster

Killer Orange Cat

Quiet You
Chairman
I am American Indian and the name never bothered me. Hell, some some of my pals call each other injuns all the time. I have never come across another Indian who is offended by that. But there it is understandable, I guess. And I am only a quarter Shawnee so I don't have dark skin or anything. So my opinion may not matter the most, but even my full blooded friends never seem to have much of an issue with it.

Snowman

Chillin' with the snowmies.
Legend
I'm just glad this meme is sorta bringing people together.
People aren't reading too far into things.
We aren't seeing thinkpieces on the reasons why. We're not in arms about corporate america or whatever the hell the flavor of the week is.
We're just seeing WASHINGTON FOOTBALL TEAM and posting memes.
Thank you, Dan Snyder. Feels like the closest thing to an American hero we can ask for right now.

• Applause

Brockster

Brock Lesnar
Legend
Yeah I think calling themselves just "Washington Football Team" is the way to go. Now there won't be anyone getting offended by that name in the future, hopefully.

Beavie

The BIG BEAV
LDW Management
Yeah I think calling themselves just "Washington Football Team" is the way to go. Now there won't be anyone getting offended by that name in the future, hopefully.
It's a little bland, but my brother and I were talking about it before they announced, and he suggested them going similar to Soccer teams and just naming themselves after the city like teams do such as "Toronto FC," and "Manchester United" etc. Granted, the way they did it was bland as FUCK but I think if you fine-tune it a bit, maybe do something like "Washington FT" or whatever, it may work. Gives a different feel, you know.

Cam

Administrator
Chairman
The Washington Football Team is temporary bullshit because they weren’t prepared to make these changes. Tells you how committed Snyder is to this change. Hope to see them with a legitimate name in the next year at least.

or Log in using