Has the WWE found a way to keep John Cena around?

Just Kevin

All I can be is just Me!
The IIconics
So... it seems to me they are just recycling Cena's character but splitting it up between 2 superstars.. Roman Reigns and Seth Rollins.

Reigns has assumed the Super Cena identity both in-ring and out... using his 5-6 moves to come back and beat every opponent after being beaten down.. and then out of the ring he is the #2 Make-a-Wish wish granter behind Cena and is championing Conner's Cure and other cancer fighting charities.

Rollins is the overcome all odds.. "never give up" side of Cena... beating incredible odds in defeating Lesnar multiple times and now facing the Monster in this upcoming title match.. and nearly always coming out on top.

I'm not saying that this is a negative thing at all... it's just that I noticed that it's been a lot more prevalent since Cena has went to Hollywood.

What are your thoughts?

white crow

The Serbian Butcher
Rising Star
My opinion is that Cena is done. Don’t bring him back in the ring ever and if you really must than give him a strictly non-title role just to make ratings higher. He has burried wrestlers enough.

The next big thing is Seth Rollins. He should be pushed in a consistent main-event picture. He’s better in-ring than Cena ever was and just needs to work a little bit more on non-wrestling abilities. Of course, I’m against making anyone a Cena v.2, Seth can be one of the faces of the company without being insanely pushed like Cena was.
Push Seth, AJ and The Fiend and we will have awesome main-events.

Grievous II

Revenge Of The Cringe
Legend
The fact the WWE are "Recycling" the same old shit over & over again is just pathetic.

The only way they can "try" to get their current performers over is book them like Austin
or CM Punk.

Have them feud with an Authority figure...or cut a "shoot" promo...or use a finisher from
some past has-been...Its all horseshit!

Watch AEW!

At least they are trying to create new stars without drowning in poisonous nostalgia.

Just Kevin

All I can be is just Me!
The IIconics
The fact the WWE are "Recycling" the same old shit over & over again is just pathetic.

The only way they can "try" to get their current performers over is book them like Austin
or CM Punk.

Have them feud with an Authority figure...or cut a "shoot" promo...or use a finisher from

Watch AEW!

At least they are trying to create new stars without drowning in poisonous nostalgia.
I agree..

I just think it's funny that these guys used to be members of the Shield.. each with their own badass characters.. then Moxley (Ambrose) leaves and now they are Cena clones with no real direction.

• Agree
Reactions: Grievous II

ThePhenom97

The Last Outlaw
Hotshot
No!

Even that was fucking cringe!

And don't forget Vince would turn around & give Owens
a title shot at FastLane anyway...so it meant NOTHING!
I have to agree Kevin Owens is doing okay as a Wrestling Rebel

But he just doesn't have a legit feel.

No disrespect but he lags as a Austin or Punk successor

Grievous II

Revenge Of The Cringe
Legend

That's not the point...

The point is the WWE shouldn't be trying to create another Austin or Punk...

The WWE should be allowing its performers to be themselves.

Let Kevin Owens be Kevin Owens...he doesn't need to ape or copy anyone else.

Let the current roster get themselves over...and help them by ditching the 50/50 booking
& writing/creating better stories so the audience has some kind of investment in what they
are watching.

• Agree
Reactions: The Wolf Priestess

Senhor Perfect

Bulletproof
The IIconics

or CM Punk.

Watch AEW!

Oh yeah....that young upstart Jericho as champion. :21-1:

white crow

The Serbian Butcher
Rising Star

You can’t expect WWE to imidietely have someone as good as Punk on the mic, that’s once in a decade situation if even that. Owens is far from him but he’s still good in that role, but let’s say in a lite version. The problem is mostly about his presence, I kinda can’t take seriously a pregnant looking dude.

Reactions: ThePhenom97

Solid Snake

ɪɴғɪɴɪᴛᴇ ᴄᴀᴛ ʟɪᴛᴛᴇʀ
Chairman
Honestly, most of the entertainment industry is doing this. Music, movies, TV... It is all recycled. If you have lived long enough, you start to notice it. Some of it works out, some of it doesn't. WWE is a case where it does not.

Solid Snake

ɪɴғɪɴɪᴛᴇ ᴄᴀᴛ ʟɪᴛᴛᴇʀ
Chairman
No one has given a single thought about what I typed in the original post lol

This thing is way off the rails.
Everyone has long assumed Roman would be his replacement. It is only fitting they mold him even further into the you can't see me abyss. Rollins, I don't know about. I think he shares a lot of characteristics with typical faces so it just seems like a Cena thing.

Grievous II

Revenge Of The Cringe
Legend
Honestly, most of the entertainment industry is doing this. Music, movies, TV... It is all recycled. If you have lived long enough, you start to notice it. Some of it works out, some of it doesn't. WWE is a case where it does not.
True...

But there is a way to "recycle' & still make it unique & interesting...

Just look at Mad Max Fury Road...

Its basically a remake of The Road Warrior (the second one) but
its different enough where it feels fresh...not to mention the art
design & presentation is fucking incredible.

I don't have a problem with the WWE telling the same stories...
as long as they are interesting.

Anyway...what was the original topic again?

*Checks*

Ehh...I don't see it myself...

Maybe if they both started wearing jhorts?

:idk3:

Reactions: Solid Snake

Snowman

Chillin' with the snowmies.
The IIconics
I see where you're coming from, though it is a reach. But every top guy is different from the last. The serious grappler in Bruno gave way to the ultra charismatic Hogan, who gave way to a really technical Bret who passed the torch to Rock and Austin, the two best promos ever possibly, definitely the two rudest. Then Cena comes along who's clean cut as hell, then...

There's a reason Backlund (may be a bad example) and Luger didn't pan out though. You can't try to push the same top guy in different paint lol

• Agree
Reactions: baseballmm

Grievous II

Revenge Of The Cringe
Legend
Thanks for putting Roman and Cena in the same sentence.

It reminded me of this epic promo where Cena roasted Roman's ass up

I'm still shocked they put Reigns opposite Cena like that...
it just highlighted how miscast he truly is.

I also like to think Vince wanted to have the Reigns/Cena
match as a Wrestlemania main event...but Cena was like:

"I ain't going though that shit Vince! I'll do it on a B-show...
& not in the main event slot!"

Last edited:

ThePhenom97

The Last Outlaw
Hotshot
I'm still shocked they put Reigns opposite Cena like that...
it just highlighted how miscast he truly is.

I also like to think Vince wanted to have the Reigns/Cena
match as a Wrestlemania main event...but Cena was like:

"I ain't going though that shit Vince! I'll do it on a B-show...
& not in the main event slot!"
When Cena said "I can do this part time better than you can ever do it full time"

I was like "he just kamehameha-ed a giant hole thru his chest"

To me he probably didn't want to do it at WM, because Vince most likely was trying to rush it.

They probably would have had it at WM 34 after Roman so called "Retired The Undertaker"

Vince was forcing Roman on us quick and hard

Last edited:

or Log in using