News Mark Henry makes a case for Styles vs. Orton as the main event of WrestleMania 35

Wrestling News

The People's Champion
Legend

From Busted Open Radio:

"This is not a filler match. This is a main event match."@TheMarkHenry on why you could make a case for @AJStylesOrg vs. @RandyOrton as the main event of #WrestleMania 35. pic.twitter.com/HpBpukN4Gk

— SiriusXM Busted Open (@BustedOpenRadio) March 15, 2019
“This is one of those matches that people look at and go ‘it’s not filler. These are both stars, both guys have been champion multiple times, and as much as we want to see Daniel Bryan and Kofi in the main event, we want to see what’s going to happen with Charlotte and Becky and Ronda as a main event, we wanna see Seth Rollins and Brock as a main event, this is a main event match. This is a main event match, guys! Randy Orton is, in my opinion, and I’ve said he’s not on the Mount Rushmore yet but he’s slowly, slowly entering that top 15, top 10 of all time. I mean, he is that damn good.

”And then AJ Styles, from the time that he was an indie guy until he worked his way up and worked down south to now, coming to the WWE, he did everything at every level that there is to do. He has become an elite champion. Not just a champion but one of the guys who can carry the load and he has carried it for the last two years. So why wouldn’t this be in the conversation as a main event match at WrestleMania.”
I quite liked the confrontation the two had on SmackDown Live this week, and both are historically good professional wrestlers, but doesn’t a main event match at a WrestleMania need more than just a couple weeks build? And if you’re going to put a singles, non-title match ahead of the actual title matches, doesn’t it need a significant story?

These two arguing over their claims that they built SmackDown into what it is works well enough for a story that leads to a match, but well enough to be the main event of WrestleMania? Not so much. As talented as they are and for as much as they’ve done in the industry, AJ Styles vs. Randy Orton simply isn’t The Rock vs. John Cena.

I’m disagreeing with Henry on this one.

You?

Continue reading...