NJPW NJPW Discussion Thread

Trainer Beavie

A Culmination of insecurities
Legend
Apr 16, 2016
Unpopular Opinion: He isn't the marketing genius he is, but if you're really trying to draw the States, Juice might be a better top guy for US shows than Cody... To get chewed up and spit out in a way that nobody saw any potential in you in NXT, to going to New Japan and being a very solid guy on the roster...

Well it probably isn't better than Cody technically, but it is for me
With Cody likely focusing on AEW, let the Juice Loose as a rising American face, but hey, who is to say there can only be one face of a brand? Even if one gets a bit more spotlight at time due to a title or a fued, you can keep things fresh.

Reactions: Snowman

Leo C

Backlund Mark
Legend
Apr 7, 2012
Jay White is great. His promos on this tour have all been fantastic, especially the one after the first Sapporo show.

Reactions: Seth

Geese

The Showoff
Mid-Carder
May 3, 2017
I know this is old news but NJPW President Harold Meij is assuring New Japan fans that it will not become WWE-style wrestling. There were complaints about the booking for last year's G1 Climax. The article states, "In addition to the frequent interference from Tama Tonga, Bad Luck Fale and Tanga Loa, Jay White also frequently used interference and American-style wrestling tactics. Meij became involved in the proceedings, helping to have the Firing Squad ejected from the building the final night." Apparently, Meij thinks he's Jack Tunney.

NJPW President Promises They Won't Become "American Wrestling" - SEScoops

Last edited:

Trainer Beavie

Legend
Apr 16, 2016
Kota Ibushi has announced he is staying put in NJPW. He's not jumping ship to join his partner Kenny Omega in All Elite.

Kota Ibushi isn’t going anywhere
Great for New Japan and a smart move for Kota. He gets to stay in his home country, with there seemingly being a begining of a shift of the main event scene he has a chance to get in, and I am sure if he wants to go to America, AEW as long as they go off well, will still be open for him.

• Agree

Geese

The Showoff
Mid-Carder
May 3, 2017
Ryusuke Taguchi will be replacing an injured David Finlay in the New Japan Cup. He will be matched up against Hiroyoshi Tenzan. Finlay is out indefinitely with a left shoulder injury.

Last edited:

Trainer Beavie

Legend
Apr 16, 2016
Ryusuke Taguchi will be replacing an injured David Finlay in the New Japan Cup. He will be matched up against Hiroyoshi Tenzan. Finlay is out indefinitely with a left shoulder injury. The writer Rev. Claire Elizabeth seems excited at this match-up as she says Taguchi is "good for a couple great matches when he sets his butt schtick aside and knuckles down," and against Hiroyoshi "there's real possibility for some magic to be made." The number of matches I've watched Taguchi it's comic relief.

THE 69TH JR CHAMP WILL BECOME THE 69TH HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMP AND IT WILL BE DOUBLE NICE!

Trainer Beavie

Legend
Apr 16, 2016
I just realized...

There is a chance that in the second round we see Toru Yano vs.Colt Cabana

Is a 5 star comedy match possible?

Geese

The Showoff
Mid-Carder
May 3, 2017
David Finlay is out six months with a shoulder injury. Tough break for the 25-year old.

Trainer Beavie

Legend
Apr 16, 2016
Will Ospreay has said signing with the WWE has never interested him. Looks like he'll be staying in NJPW for the long haul.

I saw an interview with him and Cultaholic and other than him seemingly become hard over the thought of super kicking Jack The Jobber, he sorta said he has so much to do outside of the WWE bubble and mentioned that he was disappointed that Travis Banks, a friend of his, that he signed with NXT UK when he felt he could have been a major star anywhere but WWE and that he had more to accomplish outside of there. Plus he said he would rather be in a position where if he goes to WWE he can pull an AJ Styles and go right to the main roster. It is not because NXT sucks, he recognizes how good it is, but he feels as if "learning to wrestle all over again" and "going back to wrestling school" is unappealing to him.

• Agree
Reactions: Geese