News Predicting the match order at Clash of Champions

Wrestling News

The People's Champion
Legend
WWE.com
It’s one thing to predict the winners and losers at Clash of Champions 2019, but how about taking a guess at the match order on that card?

WWE has announced 11 different segments for the main card of this event. Here is my subjective view of how important each of these 11 segments rank, ordered from most important to least important.

1. Seth Rollins vs. Braun Strowman
  2. Becky Lynch vs. Sasha Banks
  3. Kofi Kingston vs. Randy Orton
  4. Bayley vs. Charlotte Flair
  5. Roman Reigns vs. Rowan
  6. Rollins & Strowman vs. Ziggler & Roode
  7. AJ Styles vs. Cedric Alexander
  8. Shinsuke Nakamura vs. The Miz
  9. Bliss & Cross vs. Rose & Deville
  10. New Day vs. The Revival
  11. Gulak vs. Carrillo vs. Dorado

It is important to come up with a list like this to get an idea of which matches are going to be placed in the key spots on the card or take up the most time, and which matches might end up in the cool-down spots or be given the least amount of time.

There is a pretty big gap between the top 5 matches and everything else; most of those lower card title matches just don’t feel like a big deal.

Strowman’s tag match ranks ahead of the rest of that tier due to its strong relation to the Universal championship match.

I’m putting Styles ahead of Nakamura due to Styles being a more recent main event star, whereas Nakamura and Miz haven’t been presented at that level in quite a while. Also, Styles and Alexander really should get more time in the ring than Nakamura and Miz due to the potential for higher work rate in their match.

Sorry, cruisers

This space seems like a regular inclusion now where the cruiserweight championship is advertised for the main card, but I’m bumping them down to the pre-show because of course they’ll be dumped off to the pre-show.

That leaves me with 10 main card matches, which still feels like one too many, especially because there will be some kind of segment(s) devoted to a 24/7 title defense. WWE could run a show with 10 main card matches, but it would involve shortchanging a few matches on time.

The two tag title matches ranked towards the very bottom of the list are both viable options for pre-show duty. I’m going to choose The Revival for that spot and keep the women’s tag match on the main card.

With those two matches moved to the pre-show, I’m going to treat the main card of the pay-per-view as if it has nine segments.

Main event

The main event match comes down to one of the top three matches listed above.

Kingston has yet to main event a pay-per-view as WWE champion and I’ll believe it when I see it.

I personally think Becky’s match is the most interesting choice for the main event, but it seems like Rollins versus Strowman has received more emphasis on television. The latter match also has potential for a spectacular ending with an appearance from The Fiend.

Therefore I’ll pencil Strowman and Rollins into the main event spot.

Opening match

The opening match of the night is usually one of the mid-level attractions with good work rate that doesn’t require a dedicated video package ahead of time to hype it up. WWE has deviated from that criteria several times this year, so I might need to eventually make an adjustment.

Rather than mulling over all the options, I’m just going to put Ziggler’s tag match in the opening segment. Strowman and Rollins are pulling double duty, and I think their two matches should be split up as much as possible. WWE did the opposite of this at Money in the Bank when they held both of Lynch’s matches in consecutive segments, so that’s worth keeping in mind.

That gives me the following card:

Segment 1: Rollins & Strowman vs. Roode & Ziggler
Segment 2:
Segment 3:
Segment 4:
Segment 5:
Segment 6:
Segment 7:
Segment 8:
Segment 9: Seth Rollins vs. Braun Strowman

Segments 2 and 3

The least important match of the night often ends up in Segment 2. The women’s tag title match is the best candidate for this spot.

After that, I want to get one of the men’s mid-card title matches out of the way, so that means either Nakamura or Styles. Styles is the biggest star of the bunch, so Segment 3 is a bit early for him. Nakamura and Miz will be placed there instead.

That gives me the following card:

Segment 1: Rollins & Strowman vs. Roode & Ziggler
Segment 2: Bliss & Cross vs. Rose & Deville
Segment 3: Shinsuke Nakamura vs. The Miz
Segment 4:
Segment 5:
Segment 6:
Segment 7:
Segment 8:
Segment 9: Seth Rollins vs. Braun Strowman

Everything else

Rollins versus Strowman is a weak main event so I don’t mind backloading the end of the card with all the most important matches.

I’ll just follow the rankings from the beginning of this post and put Lynch in Segment 8, with Kingston in Segment 7.

WWE usually puts more space between the women’s matches, so I’ll stick Rowan and Reigns in Segment 6 rather than Bayley and Flair.

That leaves Styles and Bayley for Segments 4 and 5, in some order. I already have one men’s singles matches taking place in Segment 3, so I’ll change things up for Segment 4 and put Bayley and Flair there. Segment 4 feels like a good spot for a big match, after starting the show off with three lower tier matches. Charlotte and Bayley should be able to pull that off in front of Flair’s hometown audience.

That means Segment 5 goes to Styles and Alexander.

Finalized card

So here is my final prediction for the match order at Clash of Champions, along with guesses on the bell-to-bell match times.

Segment 1: Rollins & Strowman vs. Roode & Ziggler (12 minutes)
Segment 2: Bliss & Cross vs. Rose & Deville (8)
Segment 3: Shinsuke Nakamura vs. The Miz (10)
Segment 4: Bayley vs. Charlotte Flair (14)
Segment 5: AJ Styles vs. Cedric Alexander (13)
Segment 6: Roman Reigns vs. Rowan (13)
Segment 7: Kofi Kingston vs. Randy Orton (15)
Segment 8: Becky Lynch vs. Sasha Banks (16)
Segment 9: Seth Rollins vs. Braun Strowman (15)

These times add up to 116 minutes, which means this main card could land in the time range of roughly 3.75 hours.

That’s my prediction for the match order at Clash of Champions 2019. What’s yours?

Continue reading...

Reactions: baseballmm

or Log in using