News Reigns on suggested heel turn: ‘Aren’t I already a heel?’

Discussion in 'Wrestling News Feed' started by Wrestling News, May 17, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. [​IMG]
    He just planted the seed. Are we staring down a future feud between Roman Reigns and Stone Cold Steve Austin? Probably not, but both have released strong opinions about the career of The Big Dog in the last week.

First, on his podcast The Steve Austin Show. Stone Cold implored the kick in the ass Reigns needed in his career at this juncture was a good old fashioned heel turn.

While promoting the WWE’s current UK tour, Reigns was about how his career and if being a full on heel is the right way to go.

In a new interview with the UK’s Daily Express, Reigns addressed about recent comments from Austin on his podcast. Reigns cut right to the point about how he felt about Austin’s career advice.

“I think everybody has their opinions. Like ice cream, everybody has their flavor, everybody has their opinion. It’s Stone Cold Steve Austin. He definitely knows the area and the territory that I’m in. He knows what it’s like to pull the trigger and be a workhorse.

So I think there’s definitely a lot of truth in what he has to say and I value his opinion. Is it going to happen? I can’t guarantee that. It’s one of those situations where you kind of got to take it week by week and just understand the role.

I definitely think there is a lot of great truth to what he’s thinking and his knowledge in the game. But Stone Cold is not my boss.”

Reigns continued

“It’s a weird question cause, aren’t I already a heel? If I garnered that reaction, what’s the point? If it’s already happening, if I’m already being booed, why try and get booed?

I think right now I’m in a cool situation and kind of a little bit different than anybody because the only person that’s really been in my shoes before is (John) Cena. But Cena is Cena, you know. I’m nothing like him, I’ve never been like him.

I think I’m in a good place to kind of do whatever I want to do with this character and not necessarily just be a heel or be a babyface. I feel like my character can be so much more than that.”

Should Roman Reigns turn heel?

Continue reading...

2. Thanks for breaking kayfabe, Roman.

But yeah, heels and faces are not the same as they used o be. The words have changed meanings pararell to wrestling changing.

3. I thought He WAS a Heel?
    -
    Seperate Question:
    Has Brock ever been a "Face" in the Company?

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. He turned face after Paul Heyman screwed him out of a title defense against Big Show at Survivor Series in 2002.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. Heel? I thought he was a bagel.

• Funny Funny x 2
  6. Nope, but the neckbeards watching in the arena want to make him a heel.

He's just managed to work the great majority in a uninspiring way.

He's a tight wad and an a** sore pony rider, but all people see is somebody that isn't their hero.

Reigns sucks but he's better than Rollins. Daniel Bryan is nice fella but just a hopeful anecdote for dorks living in their mom's basement.

• Like Like x 1
  7. In 2018 what really is a face and a heel?

8. So this is only tangential related since there actually point is never "Roman Reigns is a heel" but the whole Reigns is already heel argument is stupid. Heels get booed so since Roman gets booed he must be a heel. That's begging the question. Him getting booed doesn't make a heel, it makes him a rejected face. A heel wouldn't be booked as someone constantly overcoming the odds (Elimination Chamber had Braun booked as an absolute monster eliminating everyone until Roman Reigns managed a victory, Backlash [I'm told] had Samoa Joe dominate for most of the match until Reigns won with a spear [and he lost at Mania but that was a failed underdog story, which is still a story where his role was constructed as the good guy]), a heel wouldn't be consistenly booked with the faces in the multi-man tag main events whenever creative fails their title, a heel wouldn't be feuding with Jinder Mahal. If you want to defend the stubbornness of keeping him a face when presented with the heel turn question, just say he's a tweener.

• Like Like x 1
  9. You know I am glad that you said that because it triggered an interesting concert in my mind. Why not make that his gimmick in a matter of speaking. You can have him slowly progress into a tweener and finally a heel that has turned his back on everyone because they did the same to him. The reason I only say that would work is that there is a guy in an Indy promotion I enjoy watching, though his name is escaping me right now, that began as a face kept getting booed because he was being pushed by the promotion as the top guy, and soon he turned into a tweener, and finally and currently he became a heel and become loved, but rejects their cheers and such because they didn't do that to him beforehand so why start now. I mean if that doesn't sound like Roman, then I don't know what does.

10. Yeah, you could do that. Roman doesn't care about the crowd reaction, which I think is actually interesting. He receives the biggest and most controversial and he just doesn't give a shit. I think that's a pretty cool character trait. However, over time, he has to react to the backlash.

The story for Romans heel turn is a lot more straightforward though. Due to frustration and jealousy that he failed to beat Lesnar, he could turn on Seth who did manage to defeat the beast. Writes itself really.

• Like Like x 1