News Rumor Look Back: Aug. 16 - 22, 2019

Wrestling News

The People's Champion
Legend
WWE.com
Welcome to the weekly Rumor Look Back, where we look at the rumors from six months ago and see which played out as originally predicted. Let’s get right to it!

August 16, 2019

• According to the Wrestling Observer Newsletter, The New Day vs. The Revival for the SmackDown tag team titles has been pitched to Vince McMahon but he hasn’t approved it yet.
  • They went there eventually.
  • They also say recent house show cancellations have to do with low advances and trying to balance the average so investors don’t question attendance drops.
  • They make most of their money from their TV deals now.
  • WWE hopes Rey Mysterio’s son will wrestle for them soon, possibly as early as 2020, per the WON.
  • He has taken bumps but has hasn’t wrestled. So a grey zone so far, but the year is young.
  • The Observer says Toni Storm is dealing with an injury and that’s why she missed dates with wXw.
  • I don’t believe she lost a bunch of time.
  • Per Squared Circle Sirens, WWE has signed Briana Brandy to a developmental deal.
  • It looks like it. (1/1)

August 17, 2019

• According to PW Insider, there has been a pitch for WWE to put NXT on USA Network.
  • That pitch went through. (1/1)
  • The show would apparently debut on Oct. 2, directly opposing AEW on TNT, and it would run for two hours.
  • It actually debuted a couple weeks prior, but the first true two hour show was head to head. (1/2)
  • On Wrestling Observer Radio, Dave Meltzer chimed in to say the show would have a live component thought it could also be taped on some weeks.
  • It’s always live. Only taped on that Christmas episode, which was really just a holiday exception. (1/2)
  • WWE has had talks to bring in “a number of people they’ve never had any interest in,” says the Wrestling Observer Newsletter.
  • They were really stacking up at this time.
  • Per WWE Network News, the next WWE Photo Shoot will air next week and feature Big Show.
  • Yeah, that’s accurate. It was a big bad show that night, yeah. (1/1)

August 19, 2019

• The Observer notes that there’s been a lot of talk that WWE will make a major announcement on Monday Night Raw this evening, and that will be the NXT move to USA Network.
  • They held the announcement until the next morning, meaning it did not happen on Raw. (0/1)
  • They also note, however, that there will be “one more significant bit of news” related to that on the show.
  • There wasn’t any other news. (0/1)
  • According to WrestleVotes, the current plan is for every episode of NXT on USA to be live, and for the show to run two hours.
  • That’s accurate. (2/2)
  • Despite what happened at the recent NXT tapings, the Observer says the Street Profits are not on Raw. The plan is for them to remain in NXT going forward while still appearing on Raw in a non-wrestling capacity.
  • They did that long enough for this to be a correct rumor. They’re on Raw now though. (1/1)
  • Per PW Insider, a lot of wrestlers were having issues with travel to the Houston house show this past weekend.
  • Traveling all the time like they do must be the worst. I wonder if it’s something they get so exhausted from but then after being retired for a while they look back fondly on all the places they got to see.

August 20, 2019

• Wrestling Observer’s Dave Meltzer says the announcement about NXT’s move to USA is “coming soon enough”. He reiterated his previous report that Triple H told NXT talent last Thursday.
  • This rumor dropped about 8 hours prior to the WWE announcement. (1/1)
  • Vince McMahon was not at Raw in Minnesota last night, per Pro Wrestling Sheet’s Ryan Satin. Paul Heyman, Triple H & Kevin Dunn ran the show.
  • Sounds like Vince doesn’t travel as much as he used to. But he’s still the man in charge which may be even more annoying when he’s not there.
  • There’s been talk of WWE “essentially phasing out live events” then only running select markets and/or doing dual brand “Supershow cards”, says Twitter’s rovert.
  • I don’t think they’ve completely phased them out. They still work a handful per week, but not nearly like they used to. And it looks like there are still shows they run as a specific brand, though Supershows happen. (0/1)
  • Tony Schiavone signed a contract with All Elite Wrestling, according to PW Insider. He’ll continue with MLW, and talked to WWE but nothing came together.
  • He’s no longer with MLW. Full on with AEW. (1/2)
  • Also from Ryan Satin - Jim Cornette, who was the center of a Twitter controversy yesterday when he made a joke disparaging Impact’s Jordynne Grace’s appearance, is done with MLW.
  • Yeah, Cornette didn’t last long. Since this rumor, he’s been hired and then fired from NWA too. (1/1)

August 21, 2019

• Pro Wrestling Sheet had sources tells them that NXT will not change its product after moving to USA.
  • I feel this is accurate enough. Sure small things have changed, but it’s still NXT. (1/1)
  • On Wrestling Observer Radio, Dave Meltzer said WWE is getting “$50 million or more” for putting NXT on USA Network.
  • That’s pretty good money. I’m not finding any other details on the money outside this one though.
  • He also said the talk of WWE having to tone down The Fiend is just talk and there’s nothing to it.
  • The Fiend is definitely not toned down. (1/1)
  • Vince McMahon missed WWE television this week due to the pending XFL announcements, says the Observer. It’s expected he’ll miss more WWE shows in the future as the XFL gets going.
  • I wonder if Vince is happy with the XFL’s early performance. I’m enjoying it so far.
  • For whatever it’s worth, Kurt Angle told ESPN Brock Lesnar still wants to fight Jon Jones in the UFC. Jones played into it on Twitter with some trash talk.
  • I don’t think that’s worth too much.

August 22, 2019

• On Wrestling Observer Radio, Dave Meltzer says SmackDown on Fox is “being talked about for three hours”, with the third hour airing on FS1 or WWE Network.
  • Thankfully this did not happen. (0/1)
  • Meltzer also said that a lot of people think “205 Live’s gonna disappear.”
  • It’s technically still on. (0/1)
  • Talent on 205 Live think the show will end next month, per Twitter’s rovert.
  • That’s inaccurate, though I don’t know how many people watch it any more. (0/1)
  • NXT’s Keith Lee has a big part in the upcoming WWE/Netflix kids movie The Main Event, reports PW Insider. A source told the site they “wouldn’t be surprised to see Lee get a big push timed with the release of the film.”
  • Lee’s already getting a big push. We’ll have to wait to see the size of his role in the movie.
  • According to rovert and WrestleVotes, CFO$ is no longer working with WWE and hasn’t produced any music for the company in months.
  • There was a tweet saying he was still working there, but that was an old one. There’s no word from other saying “We no longer work together” though reports persist saying so.

This week: 13/22 - 59%

Overall: 3,158/5,657 - 55.8%

Have a great week, everyone!

Continue reading...

or Log in using

Latest Discussions