Welcome to the weekly Rumor Look Back, where we look at the rumors from six months ago and see which played out as originally stated. Let’s get right to it.
December 21, 2019
- According to the Wrestling Observer Newsletter, the current booking idea for Raw is to have top stars in two programs instead of just one.
- That’s a bit vague but I suppose it means top guys and gals are in multiple stories. I don’t recall that being the case, but outside Becky Lynch for the women, Raw didn’t really have a top guy.
- They also say Cain Velasquez’s next scheduled show with WWE is the Royal Rumble.
- He was not there, and this was before he was let go. (0/1)
- Ric Flair’s contract with WWE expires soon, per the Observer, and talk of him already re-signing is apparently untrue.
- He eventually did given he’s on TV all the time during this pandemic, but don’t know the time table.
- PW Insider says both Shane McMahon and Paige were backstage at SmackDown this week, although it’s unclear exactly what they were there for.
- Just to hang maybe?
- They also say Chris DeJoseph was there and because he was at TLC but not Raw, the speculation is he’ll be working creative for the blue brand.
- That was the word. (1/1)
December 23, 2019
- According to the Wrestling Observer Newsletter, current plans call for The Revival to become a comedy act, which has apparently led to some mixed feelings.
- I wonder if that was when they were given those ridiculous outfits. It never played that way on TV though. (0/1)
- Fandango apparently underwent surgery from what PW Insider says is an elbow injury he suffered weeks ago.
- They actually said on TV recently that he decided to forego surgery to rehab it instead. (0/1)
- WWE has “significant” interest in signing Killer Kross, says WrestleVotes.
- He’s already in NXT gettin a huge push. (1/1)
- The Observer says that while there were questions regarding Kevin Nash pulling out of the Jericho Cruise, his doing so for a movie part is “legit.”
- He has a movie called “Chick Fight” in post production so maybe that was it?
- Ryback is currently teasing working with AEW in 2020, and there is a belief that will happen.
- We’re halfway through and that hasn’t yet to happen.
December 24, 2019
- If WWE doesn’t go with Cain Velasquez as Brock Lesnar’s Royal Rumble opponent, it will likely be either Kevin Owens or Randy Orton.
- None of those things happened. Instead, Brock was in the Rumble. (0/1)
- Regarding the report WWE plans to use The Revival as a comedy act, a source told WrestlingNews.co that that’s Vince McMahon’s plan for talents who don’t re-sign with WWE months before their contracts expire.
- He really didn’t do that. The way Cash saw it, they were going to do whatever they were asked and make it good. He got the impression that when the Revival seemed game for it, Vince and creative backed off.
- The source also told the site McMahon “doesn’t see anything special in them” because he didn’t watch them in NXT and wasn’t a fan of the old school tag team wrestling their gimmick is based on.
- Now they have the chance to prove Vince wrong.
- Seth Rollins’ heel turn was moved up due to his injury, per Sportskeeda’s Tom Colohue. It would have been teased out past TLC if he hadn’t hurt his hand.
- I think they waited long enough.
- Time for Andrade push talk again! Wrestling Observer Newsletter says the goal of the Andrade/Humberto Carrillo feud is to get both wrestlers over.
- The may be the goal, but Carrillo never got over. Andrade was suspended due to a wellness violation about a month later.
December 25, 2019
- The Observer notes that Brock Lesnar will be back soon. It should be early in the new year.
- He returned Jan. 6. (1/1)
- No surprise here, but the talk is that Becky Lynch vs. Asuka will indeed happen at Royal Rumble.
- They did. It was a good match. (1/1)
- Samoa Joe is expected to get a big push upon his return to the ring, which will be any time now.
- I wouldn’t say it was a huge push. But I guess he wasn’t healthy long enough to really let it get going. (0/1)
- PW Insider notes that Alexa Bliss will be the wrestler getting their own WWE affiliated podcast. She’ll be recording the first episode “in the next few weeks.”
- If she’s recorded it, they’ve sat on it for six months.
- WWE Network News says WWE Network will air a special on Dec. 30 featuring Paige as host that will break down the best matches of the year.
- They soon announced it officially. (1/1)
December 26, 2019
- Roman Reigns and Shayna Baszler are pencilled in as Royal Rumble winners right now, according to Sportskeeda’s Tom Colohue.
- It was Drew McIntyre & Charlotte, though the two predicted were slated for title matches anyway. (0/2)
- Aleister Black & Buddy Murphy’s rivalry will continue past their rematch next Monday, per Wrestling Observer Radio. This is another case where Paul Heyman wants the feud to be a push for both guys.
- They had another in January, which is when Murphy joined Seth Rollins. (1/1)
- Killer Kross is in a great negotiating spot, according to WrestlingNews.co. A source told them WWE is willing to debut him on Raw or SmackDown and “fast track him into the upper card”.
- He started in NXT. (0/1)
- Several of the enhancement talents used the past two Raws were graduates of Seth Rollins’ Black & Brave Wrestling Academy. Head trainer Marek Brave says to expect to see more in the future.
- Makes sense that one of their top guys can get some of his students some time.
- Shazza McKenzie told Fightful she hasn’t signed with AEW.
- This is true. She’s not on their roster page. Even
December 27, 2019
- The Observer notes that they “haven’t been told outright” that Brock Lesnar’s match at Royal Rumble will be for the WWE championship.
- It was not.
- They also say that as of right now neither Cain Velasquez nor Tyson Fury will be Lesnar’s opponent at WrestleMania 36.
- That’s true. It was Drew. (1/1)
- Daniel Bryan is expected to win the shot at Bray Wyatt and the Universal championship at Royal Rumble.
- Also true. (1/1)
- Furthermore, The Miz is involved likely to take the fall to protect Baron Corbin from having to do so.
- Miz submitted to Bryan. (1/1)
- Vince McMahon is “heavily behind” an Erick Rowan push, says the Wrestling Observer Newsletter.
- Some rumors I look back on and just have to laugh. And while maybe he was at a point of time, the way that all ended, with the fake spider and them him getting released, easily earns an incorrect. (0/1)
This week: 9/17 - 53%
Overall: 3,358/5,986 - 56.1%
Have a good week, everyone. Stay safe out there.