News Rumor Look Back: June 1 - 7, 2019

Wrestling News

The People's Champion
Legend
WWE.com
Welcome to the weekly Rumor Look Back, where we look at the rumors from six months ago and see which played out as originally predicted. Let’s get right to it.

June 1, 2019

• The Wrestling Observer Newsletter notes there are “a ton of people” from WWE who have inquired about going to AEW, and that includes a lot of folks in NXT.
  • I wonder if that’s the same sentiment with NXT now that they’ve gone two hours.
  • The WON also says there have been ideas talked about for defending the 24/7 championship on YouTube, Instagram, and at the Performance Center between shows.
  • Does this mean matches or random changes? Because there were random changes on YouTube and maybe they IG’d those videos. But I don’t recall PC bouts. I’m going to leave this blank because it’s a bit vague
  • PW Insider is saying AOP are scheduled to return next month, and will be working SmackDown Live events.
  • This is true on both accords. They weren’t on TV, but they were back by July working house shows for the SmackDown brand. (2/2)
  • The Observer notes AEW is likely headed for a Wednesday night time slot, but there’s no official decision just yet.
  • That’s accurate. (1/1)
  • Ring of Honor will bring back the Top Prospect tournament this summer, per PW Insider.
  • Apparently that’s accurate. One Dak Draper won. (1/1)

June 3, 2019

• The expectation is that Brock Lesnar will win the title when he cashes in his Money in the Bank contract tonight on Raw.
  • Inaccurate. He didn’t cash the briefcase in until Extreme Rules. (0/1)
  • Mickie James appeared to suffer some sort of knee injury at a WWE live event over the weekend, but it appears she’s okay.
  • She did suffer a knee injury, but it was not OK. She needed to get ACL surgery. (1/2)
  • Speaking of injuries, the Observer notes that a lot of wrestlers were “pretty beat up” coming out of NXT TakeOver: XXV this weekend.
  • I don’t recall that being a specifically brutal show, but every show has the potential for injuries in this business.
  • That includes Bobby Fish, who was seen in a sling, but they say all indications are it was nothing too serious.
  • Bobby Fish did not lose any significant time. (1/1)
  • The Wrestling Observer Newsletter notes that Davey Boy Smith is going to get a big push in MLW but he’s also garnering interest from everywhere, including WWE.
  • I spoke to our AEW expert Manolo and he did not consider Davey Boy to get a “big push” though he has won tag gold. (0/1)

June 4, 2019

• Several wrestlers and writers spoke to Fightful about Jon Moxley’s interview on Talk Is Jericho who confirmed Moxley’s stories of what it’s like dealing with Vince McMahon on creative and how disheartening it can be.
  • I think some people can push their creative direction more than others. Like I bet Daniel Bryan has more impact. But it also sounds like Mox felt Vince just didn’t get his character at all.
  • The fan at the center of the Bully Ray/ROH controversy also alleges that head booker Hunter “Delirious” Johnson posed as security to lead him backstage where Bully spoke to him.
  • This whole thing was a huge mess. Which is kind of the ROH story of 2019.
  • PW Insider says WWE is planning to use NXT talents in the 50 man battle royal at Super ShowDown. Matt Riddle is a name they say has specifically been discussed.
  • There were 205 Live guys but no one from NXT. (0/1)
  • Impact World champ Brian Cage was backstage and set to appear on Double or Nothing when Impact contacted him and told him his contract prohibited him from working with AEW, reports PW Insider.
  • If he didn’t check with them first, he should have given he was their champion.
  • The Observer confirms Mickie James suffered a knee injury at Sunday’s house show.
  • As noted above, accurate. (1/1)

June 5, 2019

• With it looking like we’re headed toward a Lacey Evans/Becky Lynch/Charlotte Flair Triple Threat for the Raw Women’s title, there’s talk we could see even more of the Flair vs. Lynch feud now since it’s reportedly off the table for WrestleMania 36.
  • The triple threat never happened. It was just a lot of Becky vs. Lacey. (0/1)
  • A Reddit user claimed to know the line Dean Ambrose refused to say about Roman Reigns’ leukemia, but Chris Jericho took to Twitter to deny it was the same line Ambrose told him off air.
  • I am curious to what Mox told Jericho.
  • Drake Maverick really impressed WWE management by taking initiative and producing a lot of his 24/7 title chase material on his own, according to Fightful.
  • This man will take the smallest opportunity and make the absolute most of it each and every time.
  • On Mon., June 3, Ric Flair posted an 18 minute YouTube video accusing his former manager Melinda Morris Zanoni of embezzling from him. Yesterday, it was removed from his channel.
  • Flair is always in the drama.
  • WWE is holding women’s tryouts at their UK Performance Center this week, per WrestleTalk.
  • Trying to get all the talent.

June 6, 2019

• Goldberg’s WWE deal gives him control of his promos, Bryan Alvarez said on Wrestling Observer Live. His promo on this week’s SmackDown was his own words and not a script.
  • Honestly, they should do more of this. One thing I like about AEW is hearing these guys and gals off script, often coming up with great stuff. But that won’t happen in the E.
  • Adam Cole and Shayna Baszler are names that’ve been discussed as the next NXT call-ups, according to Dave Meltzer on Observer Radio.
  • Neither have come up, though I expect Shayna up soon. The Street Profits were the next ones up. (0/2)
  • The Brock Lesnar beatdown angle was not a way to write Seth Rollins off Super ShowDown, says PW Insider. Rollins will appear in Jeddah.
  • He was there, defeating Baron Corbin. (1/1)
  • They also say Sin Cara, Humberto Carrillo, and Big E are booked for Friday in Saudi Arabia.
  • I don’t see Big E on it, but Sin Cara and Carrillo were in the battle royal. (2/3)
  • The WWE 2K20 ad campaign will feature a lot of current and former Superstars, per WrestleVotes. “Mega money” is being spent, and names like Austin, Flair & Hogan are said to be involved in something like the NFL 100 commercial.
  • That’s true - a lot of stars and the NFL 100 feel. Too bad the game was pretty widely panned. (2/2)

June 7, 2019

• There’s some speculation that the injury angle WWE ran with Seth Rollins on Raw was to set up Baron Corbin winning the Universal title, Brock Lesnar cashing in on him, and Rollins then chasing the title again, likely for a match at SummerSlam. But considering the past couple weeks, no one seems to know for sure what’s going on.
  • Seth won and Brock didn’t cash in this time around. But I believe that no one knows what’s going on. (0/1)
  • The Wrestling Observer Newsletter notes that at some point WWE was told by the government that they would allow a women’s match at Super ShowDown, and that’s why Natalya and Alexa Bliss made the trip.
  • This is accurate. It was at the very next show with Natty and Lacey Evans getting the honor. (1/1)
  • The Observer makes note of a story going around that WWE checked with a ticket company to see how New Japan was doing for their show on Aug. 31 in the market and when told it wasn’t doing great decided to go head-to-head with NXT UK TakeOver to outdraw it.
  • Was it exactly head to head since UK TakeOver is at 3 PM ET?
  • PW Insider notes that Tony Nese, Mansoor, Mojo Rawley, Matt Hardy, Jinder Mahal, No Way Jose, The Singh Brothers, Luke Gallows, and Karl Anderson are all expected for the battle royal at Super ShowDown.
  • This is what I consider a padding of the stats because everyone had to be in that show. Mansoor won. (9/9)
  • Double or Nothing did between 98,500 and 113,000 buys, per the Observer.
  • Pretty good for no TV to build it.

This week: 22/31 - 71%

Overall: 3,042/5,465 - 55.7%

Have a great week, everyone!

Continue reading...

or Log in using