Welcome to the weekly Rumor Look Back, where we look at the rumors from six months ago and see which played out as originally predicted. Let’s jump right into it.
March 9, 2018
- According to the latest Wrestling Observer Newsletter, WWE is going with the idea that Brock Lesnar is leaving and they’ll likely be downplaying him as his run comes to an end.
- I wouldn’t say they downplayed him any more than usual. (0/1)
- That could mean the Ronda Rousey & Kurt Angle vs. Stephanie McMahon & Triple H match gets the main event spot over Lesnar vs. Roman Reigns. The match order has yet to be finalized, however.
- The Universal title match still went on last. (0/1)
- The Observer notes that WWE is concerned enough about possible issues with both Lesnar and Reigns that “they are not scheduling a few key players” until they’re sure issues with them are settled. That includes Braun Strowman, and it’s why he doesn’t have a clear direction right now.
- He never really did.
- The “Ultimate Deletion” is going to take place on an episode of Raw instead of WrestleMania, according to the latest Wrestling Observer Newsletter.
- Yes, it was the main event of a Raw. (1/1)
March 10, 2018
- The Observer is saying Kevin Owens and Sami Zayn are currently scheduled for the Andre the Giant Memorial Battle Royal at WrestleMania 34.
- They ended up in a main roster tag match against Daniel Bryan and Shane McMahon. Hard to believe something like the Dre was the plan given they were a focal point on SmackDown for awhile. (0/1)
- Sheamus and Cesaro may not even have a match at WrestleMania but instead be involved in some sort of angle on the show, according to the Observer.
- They defended their titles against Braun Strowman and a child. (0/1)
- The latest Wrestling Observer Newsletter reports there are plans to strengthen 205 Live and run more house shows.
- They haven’t run more house shows. (0/1)
- AXS said WWE will be doing another War Games match in November for NXT in Los Angeles but WWE is saying that’s not the case.
- War Games is back. (1/2)
- Per the Observer, Eddie Edwards has signed a new deal with Impact Wrestling.
- They changed his character to a hardcore crazy dude instead of white meat babyface.
March 12, 2018
- Look for the build to John Cena’s match with Undertaker at WrestleMania to continue on Raw tonight.
- He called out the Undertaker and talked some trash to try to get his match. (1/1)
- Carmella’s Money in the Bank cash in could come at WrestleMania, according to the Backstage in WWE podcast. She’s expected to lose the match it earns her.
- She didn’t cash in at Mania but two nights later. She won the match. (0/2)
- That source was also reporting that Shane McMahon will face Dolph Ziggler at WrestleMania, something which didn’t appear to be in the plans based on Fastlane.
- He teamed with Daniel Bryan against Owens and Zayn. (0/1)
- The recent cuts from NXT came because the Performance Center “is nearing its capacity”, according to Bryan Alvarez of Observer Radio.
- WWE as a whole feels “at capacity.”
March 13, 2018
- WWE now believes there isn’t much to steroid allegations against Roman Reigns, according to Wrestling Observer Radio, and is moving forward with their original plans to promote his match with Brock Lesnar at WrestleMania 34.
- Hard to believe they put much stock in it to begin with. But I guess they had to be safe.
- Jeff Hardy did take part in “Ultimate Deletion” prior to his DWI arrest on Saturday, says Pro Wrestling Sheet.
- He was part of the Ultimate Deletion briefly at the end. (1/1)
- While Jeff’s cameo will likely be edited out, it’s not believed he’ll be punished beyond that by WWE if this remains a one-time incident.
- His part was not edited out. I would say he wasn’t punished in regards to booking. He won the US title soon after he returned. (1/2)
- Speculation is ramping up for an announcement that CM Punk’s next MMA fight will happen in Chicago on June 9 at UFC 225, fueled by a recent tweet by Punk teasing as much.
- It did. He lost but at least went the distance (partially because his opponent was toying with him). (1/1)
March 14, 2018
- Ronda Rousey had appeared to be removed from advertising for the next two episodes of Monday Night Raw but at some point she was put back and is expected to be at every show until WrestleMania 34 as previously reported by WWE.
- She missed one episode but they had a really good video package prepping the match the night. (1/1)
- On Wrestling Observer Radio, Dave Meltzer noted that it’s unclear if Vince McMahon has decided to give Braun Strowman a partner for his match against The Bar for the Raw tag team titles at WrestleMania 34.
- He did, but I wonder if they decided last minute.
- The speculation going around is that Elias could be Strowman’s partner, if they choose to pair him with someone.
- Elias had a segment where Cena beat him up at WrestleMania. Braun teamed with Nicholas. (0/1)
- Per Squared Circle Sirens, TBS is going to do a WWE vs. GLOW themed episode of Drop the Mic. Nikki Bella, Brie Bella, Carmella, and Alicia Fox will represent WWE.
- Looks like this happened. (1/1)
March 15, 2018
- Daniel Bryan is returning to SmackDown next week. It’s believed he’ll end up as guest referee for the Kevin Owens, Sami Zayn, Shane McMahon match.
- This was the episode he was cleared to wrestle so a referee he was not. (0/1)
- Regarding that match, McMahon will definitely be in it, but it supposedly still hasn’t been decided if it will be a Triple Threat or if Shane will get a tag partner.
- Shane was in it. Bryan was his partner. (1/1)
- Filmmaker Jon Bravo says his 25 minute film, which he has claimed will implicate Roman Reigns and other WWE Superstars as steroid users, will be released on Friday.
- It was a chore sitting through the whole thing.
- The Andre The Giant Memorial Battle Royal is still expected to happen at WrestleMania 34, according to Wrestling Observer Radio.
- It did. It was a kickoff match that Matt Hardy won. (1/1)
This week: 10/22 - 45%
Overall: 2,365/4,288 - 55.2%
Have a great week, everyone!