WWE has been running events in Saudi Arabia since 2018 and during that span, women were not allowed to wrestle on the shows until Crown Jewel in Oct. 2019, the fourth event under a deal between the two sides. That match, Natalya vs. Lacey Evans, was hailed as a history making breakthrough for women in the area, even if that’s not exactly the case.
If nothing else, it did address heavy criticism of WWE agreeing to the deal knowing women wouldn’t be able to wrestle on the shows in the midst of promoting a so-called “women’s evolution.”
Now, we’re not just getting another women’s match at Super ShowDown on Feb. 27, 2020, but a SmackDown women’s title match. Bayley will make the trip to defend her title against the winner of the Carmella vs. Naomi bout scheduled for next week’s episode of Friday Night SmackDown.
The updated match card:
- Brock Lesnar (c) vs. Ricochet (WWE championship)
- Bray Wyatt (c) vs. Goldberg (Universal championship)
- The New Day (c) vs. John Morrison & The Miz (SmackDown tag team championship)
- Bayley (c) vs. TBA (SmackDown women’s championship)
- Roman Reigns vs. Baron Corbin (Steel cage)
- AJ Styles vs. Andrade vs. R-Truth vs. Rusev vs. Erick Rowan vs. Bobby Lashley