What makes AEW great?

Brockster

Brock Lesnar
Legend
I am gonna be honest and say that I was really hyped for AEW when it first started, but it kinda let me down and felt disappointing for some reasons I won't get into right now. This is not a thread to bash AEW at all, I am asking you wrestling fans what do you think makes AEW stand out, what makes it better or different than WWE?

Last edited:

Snowman

Chillin' with the snowmies.
Legend
While I haven't been super paying attention to AEW, I have been enjoying it every week.
The pacing is usually on a pretty good point, the top of the card is usually loaded, the heels walk that fine line between entertaining as hell and still wanting to see them get their faces kicked in, some of their babyfaces and talent overall get us invested in their success, guys doing the little things right (obvious example is less scripted Mox/Jericho being much better than their WWE personas recently). and even ignoring the top of the card the tag guys are at least fun to watch.

It's far from perfect but I'm enjoying it.

InsaneAlphaBeta

The Dave Meltzer of WWEF
Hotshot
Its great because the Wrestlers actually get to be at their full potential and not be held back, the matches arent just the same odl same odl formula like basicly every WWE main roster match. The promos arent scripted and thus they are way better because its up to the superstars and their own ability to nail it. Its more real and genuine.

The matches are just plain better and there is a wide veriaty of them. Matches with crazy high spots to deep emotional matches like Cody Vs Dustin. There is something for everyone.

The commentary is great, the wrestlers are great (besides Dark Order) its all just so damn good.

Oh and they LISTEN, people thought the dark order sucked so they stepped it up and got better week by week, they still got alot to learn though.

AEW is still in its infancy stage and already its so promising and has been great, atleast to me.

but what do i know? im narrow minded.

Reactions: Brockster

Brockster

Brock Lesnar
Legend
Its great because the Wrestlers actually get to be at their full potential and not be held back, the matches arent just the same odl same odl formula like basicly every WWE main roster match. The promos arent scripted and thus they are way better because its up to the superstars and their own ability to nail it. Its more real and genuine.

The matches are just plain better and there is a wide veriaty of them. Matches with crazy high spots to deep emotional matches like Cody Vs Dustin. There is something for everyone.

The commentary is great, the wrestlers are great (besides Dark Order) its all just so damn good.

Oh and they LISTEN, people thought the dark order sucked so they stepped it up and got better week by week, they still got alot to learn though.

AEW is still in its infancy stage and already its so promising and has been great, atleast to me.

but what do i know? im narrow minded.
Oh yeah, I really loved Cody vs Dustin. I agree with you that there is something for everyone to enjoy, but I think that's part of why I have a hard time getting into it, some of the other stuff they do is not really my cup of tea but I do love when they do matches like that one in particular.

Beavie

The BIG BEAV
LDW Management
It isn't perfect, like their women's division needs fine tuning (but Britt Baker has improved a shit ton so it is starting to improve) but I think what makes it great is that it doesn't insult my intelligence and everyone feels natural in their role. Part of it comes with the unscripted nature so people can put more input in their character and they have done fairly well in building people. Even the mid-carders I feel like they can put up a fight against a top person.

Plus when it comes to The Elite, they have done an alright job in not making everything only about them. It is hard since they all are top guys regardless, but I can care about more than them.

They may not be as "groundbreaking" in everything they do but what they do, they tend to do well and even if I normally can't catch the weekly show, considering Revolution was the only wrestling PPV I watched all the way through this year, it shows they have my attention more than most promotions.

Brockster

Brock Lesnar
Legend
It isn't perfect, like their women's division needs fine tuning (but Britt Baker has improved a shit ton so it is starting to improve) but I think what makes it great is that it doesn't insult my intelligence and everyone feels natural in their role. Part of it comes with the unscripted nature so people can put more input in their character and they have done fairly well in building people. Even the mid-carders I feel like they can put up a fight against a top person.

Plus when it comes to The Elite, they have done an alright job in not making everything only about them. It is hard since they all are top guys regardless, but I can care about more than them.

They may not be as "groundbreaking" in everything they do but what they do, they tend to do well and even if I normally can't catch the weekly show, considering Revolution was the only wrestling PPV I watched all the way through this year, it shows they have my attention more than most promotions.
Good points there, I'm in no way an anti-AEW guy, but its just some of the stuff they do that is lame to me like most of their comedy skits. I know WWE has full of cringe stuff too but it's different in AEW, I was hoping for a more serious wrestling product. But yeah I guess I should give it more tries before making a judgment.

Roadster

Giovanni van "The Beast' Bronckhorst
Legend
I like their presentation, it feels a lot more lively than WWEs presentation. The crowds are more into it and the commentators don't sound like a soundboard. It makes the show feel more 'must see' in a sense since the reaction of the crowds make a large chunk of the show. I also like the roster, a tad more. WWE has better wrestlers but rarely showcases them whilst AEW has great wrestlers and regularly features a large chunk of them. It's just more fresh compared to the tired out 20 year old formula used by WWE.

Killer Orange Cat

Quiet You
Chairman
AEW is doing exactly what I expected it to. It's not going to be the greatest thing in the world instantly. They have been establishing their presence, which has to be done first. Creating a major wrestling company from nowhere is not something that has not been done in a long time. The creation of the AWA and the WWWF were the last times this happened. All other companies, such as ROH, TNA, WCW, ECW and any you can name didn't start out as the number 2 wrestling company in the country right away. Each one was a small company that took time to grow. When they got popular, they had an already established story structure and wrestling style.

AEW just immediately popped into second place at creation. They are still finding themselves and it is interesting to watch that. That is what is great.

Brockster

Brock Lesnar
Legend
AEW is doing exactly what I expected it to. It's not going to be the greatest thing in the world instantly. They have been establishing their presence, which has to be done first. Creating a major wrestling company from nowhere is not something that has not been done in a long time. The creation of the AWA and the WWWF were the last times this happened. All other companies, such as ROH, TNA, WCW, ECW and any you can name didn't start out as the number 2 wrestling company in the country right away. Each one was a small company that took time to grow. When they got popular, they had an already established story structure and wrestling style.

AEW just immediately popped into second place at creation. They are still finding themselves and it is interesting to watch that. That is what is great.
Hmmm, I think WCW was pretty huge when it started as a promotion named "WCW" on it's own, but it's true that the name World Championship Wrestling had been used for a long time at that point as a brand for television and such for different companies so I get your point. When it started out as a real company in 88 they were already big but it was because of the NWA affiliation, so you're right it was a completely different situation.

I think the fact that they popped right into second place was the lack of an actual "second place" at that moment, but they also did a very good job at building hype with their first PPV. I gotta give them that, it was pretty amazing how they did it. I also think wrestling fans were desperately looking forward for a fresh new wrestling promotion like AEW that is still ran like an indie but is bigger than most of the others and could compete with WWE one day.

Last edited:

Killer Orange Cat

Quiet You
Chairman
Hmmm, I think WCW was pretty huge when it started as a promotion named "WCW" on it's own, but it's true that the name World Championship Wrestling had been used for a long time at that point as a brand for television and such for different companies so I get your point. When it started out as a real company in 88 they were already big but it was because of the NWA affiliation, so you're right it was a completely different situation.

I think the fact that they popped right into second place was the lact of an actual "second place" at that moment, but they also did a very good job at building hype with their first PPV. I gotta give them that, it was pretty amazing how they did it. I also think wrestling fans were desperately looking forward for a fresh new wrestling promotion like AEW that is still ran like an indie but is bigger than most of the others and could compete with WWE one day.
World Championship Wrestling was just a name change. The company that became WCW, Jim Crockett Promotions, had been around since 1931.

• Applause

Killer Orange Cat

Quiet You
Chairman
I think the fact that they popped right into second place was the lack of an actual "second place" at that moment, but they also did a very good job at building hype with their first PPV. I gotta give them that, it was pretty amazing how they did it. I also think wrestling fans were desperately looking forward for a fresh new wrestling promotion like AEW that is still ran like an indie but is bigger than most of the others and could compete with WWE one day.
TNA was rocking for a while. They could have gotten bigger if they didn't shit on their fanbase. I mean, I knew people who were not paid but would travel to every TNA event and do their best to promote the company because they loved it. TNA was on the rise... and then they hired Hogan and Bischoff. They then tried to make it a WWE clone rather than an alternative to WWE. And the vast stupidity of that is still something that I cannot understand. They shit all over Jeff Jarrett... and I understand that a lot of people don't like Jarrett as a wrestler, but a lot of the TNA fan base loved him as an executive.

And yeah, Impact got better. But they alienated their original hardcore fan base. Their disrespect of Jarrett, of the original fan base and then jobbing the wrestlers who made that company is just unforgivable. They also made Ric Flair into a joke and that is not just unforgivable, it is blasphemy.

Their utter stupidity left the door open for someone else to sweep in and be number two and thus there was AEW.

Plus, Jeffry Fucking Mason Jeffry Fucking Mason I see you reading these threads. Be a good boy and don't be too critical.

• Agree

Jeffry Fucking Mason

WWEF President & Outlaw Admin
LDW Management
TNA was rocking for a while. They could have gotten bigger if they didn't shit on their fanbase. I mean, I knew people who were not paid but would travel to every TNA event and do their best to promote the company because they loved it. TNA was on the rise... and then they hired Hogan and Bischoff. They then tried to make it a WWE clone rather than an alternative to WWE. And the vast stupidity of that is still something that I cannot understand. They shit all over Jeff Jarrett... and I understand that a lot of people don't like Jarrett as a wrestler, but a lot of the TNA fan base loved him as an executive.

And yeah, Impact got better. But they alienated their original hardcore fan base. Their disrespect of Jarrett, of the original fan base and then jobbing the wrestlers who made that company is just unforgivable. They also made Ric Flair into a joke and that is not just unforgivable, it is blasphemy.

Their utter stupidity left the door open for someone else to sweep in and be number two and thus there was AEW.

Plus, Jeffry Fucking Mason Jeffry Fucking Mason I see you reading these threads. Be a good boy and don't be too critical.
Why do you think I haven't been responding to it? I just click the alert so that I can keep alerted to this thread to have a small chuckle anytime someone says something positive about AEW outside of "Private Party and Best Friends are pretty talented". Also, quit spying on me :P

TNA was huge and had a pretty big fanbase from the beginning, it wasn't until many years later that they started to go downhill. They were an almost immediate number 2 though, between the NWA association, them being the spiritual successor to WCW, and the way that they initially had their shows (weekly PPV show that was completely different and at the time cost less to watch per month than 1 WWE PPV.) AEW has already fallen into the trap. Between the women's division, the constant need to be just like WCW, all the shade thrown at WWE, and the multitude of stupid things that Cody says and does, they are basically just Hogan/Bischoff era TNA without the near-decade of shows before that building up goodwill with the audience. If there wasn't a giant human moneybag attached to them, AEW would most likely be dead within a year.

Ending on a positive, though... I'd say Lucha Undgerground might be the best example of a company popping in and immediately being the number 2. I feel like before the first show ever even aired, the hype was through the roof for that, so when the first episode happened and it actually delivered on it's hype? Man, people took LU spoilers more seriously than Star Wars and Walking Dead nerds combined. It's a shame it was run so poorly on the business side, because imagine if someone had funded that the way AEW is being funded and put on a network that people actually have? Like, holy shit, how great would that be

Killer Orange Cat

Quiet You
Chairman
Why do you think I haven't been responding to it? I just click the alert so that I can keep alerted to this thread to have a small chuckle anytime someone says something positive about AEW outside of "Private Party and Best Friends are pretty talented". Also, quit spying on me :P

TNA was huge and had a pretty big fanbase from the beginning, it wasn't until many years later that they started to go downhill. They were an almost immediate number 2 though, between the NWA association, them being the spiritual successor to WCW, and the way that they initially had their shows (weekly PPV show that was completely different and at the time cost less to watch per month than 1 WWE PPV.) AEW has already fallen into the trap. Between the women's division, the constant need to be just like WCW, all the shade thrown at WWE, and the multitude of stupid things that Cody says and does, they are basically just Hogan/Bischoff era TNA without the near-decade of shows before that building up goodwill with the audience. If there wasn't a giant human moneybag attached to them, AEW would most likely be dead within a year.

Ending on a positive, though... I'd say Lucha Undgerground might be the best example of a company popping in and immediately being the number 2. I feel like before the first show ever even aired, the hype was through the roof for that, so when the first episode happened and it actually delivered on it's hype? Man, people took LU spoilers more seriously than Star Wars and Walking Dead nerds combined. It's a shame it was run so poorly on the business side, because imagine if someone had funded that the way AEW is being funded and put on a network that people actually have? Like, holy shit, how great would that be
It's my job to spy on you and you know I was just playing.

And I agree about Lucha Underground.

CM Punk

AJ Styles
Commissioner
I don't watch AEW but at times I see clips, I feel like they're TRYING to be entertaining. Key word is trying. Yet WWE is kind of like, whatever we throw, you're supposed to like it. I'll give WWE that their MITB was really entertaining but on RAW, it was same old shit. Meanwhile on AEW we're having like Sammy Gueverra getting hit by golf carts, etc.

I rather appreciate a company that's trying to cater to the fans. I do think that AEW does some stuff wrong too, but they usually learn from their mistakes.

or Log in using

Latest Discussions