What must be the ingredients of a five-star match?

Shayon

Jobber
Jobber
I've been checking on all the 5 star matches of the past decade, and i've found out, to my utter surprise, that according to the great Dave Meltzer, WWE in it's full illustrious history, has had only 5 five star matches! More surprisingly, only one in the last 16 years! Even, HBK vs Taker at WM 25, and Cena vs Punk at Raw in 2013 failed to get a five star rating from Mr.Meltzer! I think punk vs cena on raw should've got a 5 star! So, i've been thinking, for a while now, what does it take, to make a wrestling match, a five star match? Big moves, or pure technical wrestling, or lots of drama, or excellent storytelling? What's your thoughts on this?

Solid Snake

ɪɴғɪɴɪᴛᴇ ᴄᴀᴛ ʟɪᴛᴛᴇʀ
Chairman
Dave Meltzer is not someone I would take seriously. There have been more than 5 five star matches.

I think it takes a good feud going in to the match, and then for the match itself to keep you on your feet. No one likes predictability.

• Agree
Reactions: RedDwarfTechy

RedDwarfTechy

WWEF's Resident Hologram
Legend
Cena vs Rollins for the double championship would have been 5 star IMO if the finish was clean. It had awesome spots, good ring work and had a nice tempo to it too.

But then Jon Stewart came down the ramp and mucked it all up >.<

Reactions: Solid Snake

Shayon

Jobber
Jobber
also, what do you all thik of the punk vs cena match on raw 2013? it only got a 4.5 rating, but it was one of the best i've seen, if not the best ever

Shayon

Jobber
Jobber
Cena vs Rollins for the double championship would have been 5 star IMO if the finish was clean. It had awesome spots, good ring work and had a nice tempo to it too.

But then Jon Stewart came down the ramp and mucked it all up >.<
also, what do you all thik of the punk vs cena match on raw 2013? it only got a 4.5 rating, but it was one of the best i've seen, if not the best ever

Solid Snake

ɪɴғɪɴɪᴛᴇ ᴄᴀᴛ ʟɪᴛᴛᴇʀ
Chairman
yeah, but if u were a booker, how'd u book a match, to make it get a 5 star rating?
Well... I would start with a good feud. You have to get people invested. You have to hype it up without over selling the product (something WWE has issues with... *sigh*). Once you have a solid feud going where you know the fans are invested in, you give them a match. The match can be very simple and straight forward if the feud is good enough. Since social media is a huge thing these days, bringing in personal (but not too personal) affairs in to the match will also make it more believable. We all know wrestling is scripted so you have to approach it like you were/are writing a play. As for the in ring action... Good spots, perfect timing, the right kind of reactions from both the face and the heel, and the element of surprise.

Reactions: Shayon

Shayon

Jobber
Jobber
Well... I would start with a good feud. You have to get people invested. You have to hype it up without over selling the product (something WWE has issues with... *sigh*). Once you have a solid feud going where you know the fans are invested in, you give them a match. The match can be very simple and straight forward if the feud is good enough. Since social media is a huge thing these days, bringing in personal (but not too personal) affairs in to the match will also make it more believable. We all know wrestling is scripted so you have to approach it like you were/are writing a play. As for the in ring action... Good spots, perfect timing, the right kind of reactions from both the face and the heel, and the element of surprise.
what if both of them are faces, like taker and hbk at wm? what then?

Zardnaar

The Showoff
Rising Star
Meltzer is likely biased against WWE in regards to 5 star matches especially since WCW died. He seemed to like Bret and Shawn.

I have not seen some of Meltzers other 5 star matches but the WWF/E matches he has awarded them to do deserve them. There are only maybe 2 other matches I would award them to (Shawn vs Undertaker).

In addition to what some of the others have said you need chemistry between the wrestlers as well. I would also add you can rememebr the match 20 years later. For example I remember these ones.

Owen vs Bret
Kanes debut
Austin and Hart double turn with Austin passing out bleeding.
Razor Ramon/HBK ladder match.

Those are the classic matches of the 90's IMHO.

Mr. Roman Empire

The Game
Banned
Obviously the talent and performance in the match needs to be on point. But also the storyline leading up has to be epic and treated as bascially the moment important match of their careers (titles, retirements, etc)

Shayon

Jobber
Jobber
Meltzer is likely biased against WWE in regards to 5 star matches especially since WCW died. He seemed to like Bret and Shawn.

I have not seen some of Meltzers other 5 star matches but the WWF/E matches he has awarded them to do deserve them. There are only maybe 2 other matches I would award them to (Shawn vs Undertaker).

In addition to what some of the others have said you need chemistry between the wrestlers as well. I would also add you can rememebr the match 20 years later. For example I remember these ones.

Owen vs Bret
Kanes debut
Austin and Hart double turn with Austin passing out bleeding.
Razor Ramon/HBK ladder match.

Those are the classic matches of the 90's IMHO.
What do you think about the punk vs cena match from raw? That was "the match" for me though,

or Log in using

Latest Discussions