News Will the Undertaker’s farewell be the main event of Survivor Series?

Wrestling News

The People's Champion
Legend

WWE.com

It’s one thing to predict the winners and losers at Survivor Series 2020, but how about taking a guess at the match order on that card?

WWE has announced seven different segments for the main card of Survivor Series.

Here is my subjective view of how important each of these seven segments rank, ordered from most important to least important.

1. Undertaker’s final farewell
  2. Drew McIntyre vs. Roman Reigns
  3. Men’s elimination match
  4. Asuka vs. Sasha Banks
  5. Women’s elimination match
  6. New Day vs. Street Profits
  7. Bobby Lashley vs. Sami Zayn

There is a pretty big gap between the top two entries and everything else on this list. The men’s elimination match gets priority over the remainder of the card since it will likely receive the most time time. Asuka, the women’s elimination match, and New Day’s match are largely interchangeable in terms of which one is the most important. Lashley’s match is clearly the least important bout on the main card.

Main event

The final segment of the night will either be Reigns vs. McIntyre or the Undertaker’s farewell. If McIntyre’s match had championship implications then this would be an easier decision, and perhaps it will have championship stakes if the Miz gets involved with the Money in the Bank briefcase.

The marketing behind this event is primarily centered around Undertaker, and his sendoff could certainly be the final segment of the night.

Regardless of Undertaker’s legendary status, I think WWE is more likely to end a pay-per-view with a match rather than a talking segment. The Thunderdome’s awkward piped-in crowd noise also makes it more difficult to end the show with this farewell segment. Therefore I’m choosing Reigns and McIntyre to close out the night.

Opening match

The opening match of the night is usually one of the mid-level attractions with good work rate that doesn’t require a dedicated video package ahead of time to hype it up. Pretty much anything besides Reigns, Undertaker, and Lashley could be a viable candidate for this spot.

I am going to first rule out the men’s elimination match since it is typically booked for the second half of the card, whereas the women’s elimination match is typically placed in the first half.

The lopsided distribution of work rate in the women’s elimination match is a potential issue, because the best workers are mostly on the blue team. The Raw side of this equation has a major problem if the idea is for the match to go long. Nia Jax and Shayna Baszler are dominant wrestlers who probably won’t sell much for the opposition. But it’s not clear that WWE would have Peyton Royce and Lacey Evans carry the brunt of the work in a lengthy match. And Lana’s limitations in the ring are obvious. The red team might need Shayna to be a bit more vulnerable than usual to get through this one. Or perhaps it will be a relatively short match with rapid-fire eliminations throughout, to cover up for this issue.

Due to these concerns, I won’t open the card with it. That leaves either Asuka or New Day for the opening match. The battle of tag team champions seems more like the type of match that WWE would begin a pay-per-view with.

That gives me the following card:

Segment 1: New Day vs. Street Profits
Segment 2:
Segment 3:
Segment 4:
Segment 5:
Segment 6:
Segment 7: Drew McIntyre vs. Roman Reigns

Everything else

As suggested earlier, the women’s elimination match is usually booked in the first half of the card, so I’ll place it in Segment 2. One of the least important matches of the night should follow it up in Segment 3, so that’s where Lashley and Zayn will go.

Segment 4 is still a bit too early for the men’s elimination match, so that leaves either Asuka or Undertaker for this spot. Undertaker could very well close out the night, so the safest move is to put Asuka here.

In the case that I’m wrong about Reigns and McIntyre getting the final segment over Undertaker, then these top champions will surely get placed later in the card than the men’s elimination match. So I’ll put the men’s elimination match in Segment 5.

That leaves the final two segments for Undertaker and Reigns. I’ve already chosen Reigns for the final segment, so Undertaker will go in Segment 6. But it’s easy to see these two segments get flipped around.

Finalized card

So here is my final prediction for the match order at Survivor Series, along with guesses on the bell-to-bell match times:

Segment 1: New Day vs. Street Profits (13 minutes)
Segment 2: Women’s elimination match (16)
Segment 3: Bobby Lashley vs. Sami Zayn (8)
Segment 4: Asuka vs. Sasha Banks (15)
Segment 5: Men’s elimination match (25)
Segment 6: Undertaker’s final farewell
Segment 7: Drew McIntyre vs. Roman Reigns (18)

That’s my prediction for the match order at Survivor Series 2020. What’s yours?

Continue reading...

or Log in using

Latest Discussions