News WWE has 13 hours of content for us this week

Discussion in 'Wrestling News Feed' started by Wrestling News, Sep 16, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. [​IMG]
    There’s a ton of wrestling content nowadays and unless you’re a hardcore pro-graps fan, you have to decide what to watch when and what to consider leaving out. That’s where we come in to help.

Every week, we are going to run down the big in-ring happenings for the easily accessible US wrestling. This won’t cover your indie needs, but ReverendClaire always has you covered in her weekly Sermon on the Mat for that.

Bear in mind, matches could be added after this posts that would definitely change how worth a show is to watch.

Sunday

WWE Hell in a Cell (WWE Network)

WWE’s Hell in a Cell pay-per-view (PPV) is tonight. Here’s what’s on tap:

• Braun Strowman vs. Roman Reigns (c) Hell in a Cell match for the Universal championship with Mick Foley as special guest referee
    • Ronda Rousey (c) vs. Alexa Bliss for the Raw women’s championship
    • AJ Styles (c) vs. Samoa Joe for the WWE championship
    • Charlotte (c) vs. Becky Lynch for the SmackDown women’s championship
    • Daniel Bryan & Brie Bella vs. the Miz & Maryse
    • Randy Orton vs. Jeff Hardy Hell in a Cell match
    • Drew McIntyre & Dolph Ziggler (c) vs. Seth Rollins & Dean Ambrose for the Raw tag team championships
    • New Day (c) vs. Rusev Day Kick off match for the SmackDown tag team championships

Verdict: While I felt the build to this show has been a bit underwhelming (especially on the Raw side), this looks like a show with potential. There is no filler here. They’re not cramming in a Baron Corbin vs. Finn Balor match just to get them on the card (yet). Instead, every match is part of a story they’ve taken time to tell.

Because of that, this PPV feels important. Plus, I’m glad they’re not cramming in a bunch of filler so it’s less likely to run super long.

Monday

Raw (USA Network)

This is the fallout from Hell in a Cell. Most of the show will be based around what happens tonight.

However, Undertaker is advertised to be on this show to continue to build his match at the Super Show-Down against Triple H. That’s been a very solid story they’ve been telling regarding the history between these two men and Shawn Michaels.

Verdict: It depends on Hell in a Cell really. If that’s a good PPV on the Raw side, then this should be more intriguing than if it’s a dud of a show.

Tuesday

SmackDown Live (USA Network)

This is the SmackDown fallout from Hell in a Cell. This PPV actually seems more SmackDown heavy given the importance and amount of matches.

Verdict: Again, it depends on what happens on the PPV, but if the SD aspect of it is solid, this will be worth a watch.

Mixed Match Challenge (Facebook Watch)

The Mixed Match Challenge is back this week, where we get of series of mixed tag team matches, which will air on Facebook Watch right after SmackDown. This year it’s round robin instead of single elimination.

This week we’ll see Team Little Big (Alexa Bliss & Braun Strowman) vs. Team Pawz (Kevin Owens & Natalya). Also, One Day Glow (Jimmy Uso & Naomi) face Fenomenal Flair (AJ Styles & Charlotte Flair).

Also, that’s totally how they’re spelling phenomenal.

Verdict: Last season, this show was fun but unessential. It all hinged on the personalities in the ring. I can’t imagine it’ll be any different this time around. Should be fun, but if there’s just too much WWE content for you this week (and Lordy there’s a lot of WWE content this week), then skip it.

Wednesday

205 Live (WWE Network)

As you may have heard, 205 Live is getting a new time slot an hour before NXT starts. It will still be taped on Tuesday though so maybe we start calling it 205 Yesterday?

They’re peppering this move with a cruiserweight title match to get fans to tune into the new time slot. Cedric Alexander will defend against Drew Gulak. Plus Noam Dar faces Lio Rush.

Verdict: The cruiserweight title match will surely be very good. I don’t see putting it an hour before NXT helping the viewership though. Maybe if it were after NXT, but the Mae Young is there right now.

NXT (WWE Network)

This episode has a big match this week:

Pete Dunne faces Ricochet and both men are putting their titles up.

Also, Lacey Evans will team with Aliyah to face Dakota Kai and Deonna Purrazzo. This is Deonna’s first second NXT match (forgot about the Brooklyn match taped prior to TakeOver) since officially joining the WWE roster.

Verdict: I’m very excited for this episode. Pete Dunne is one of my favorites and Ricochet is incredible. While there probably won’t be an ending because I doubt someone is becoming double champion tonight (I expect an Undisputed ERA interference of some sorts), it’s still going to be a very good match.

Lucha Underground

Wrestling meets telenovela continues.

Verdict: This is a generally fun show. It’s not really a show to pick and choose episodes though. Given the way they tell their stories, this show is more “Watch it all or don’t” than other wrestling programs.

Mae Young Classic (WWE Network)

The first round of the second Mae Young Classic continues.

This week’s match ups:

• Mia Yim vs. Allysin Kay
    • Toni Storm vs. Jimmy
    • Kaitlyn vs. Kavita Devi
    • Xia Li vs. Karen Q

Verdict: There’s a lot of things enticing about this episode. It’s Kaitlyn’s WWE return. A favorite from last year in Toni Storm (also a favorite to win it) will be in action. Mia Yim and Allysin Kay have gone head to head plenty so that should be a smooth match. And in general, tournament wrestling is fun!

Thursday

Impact Wrestling (Pop TV)

This is the first of four episodes taped in Mexico and it leads off the final set of tapings prior to Bound for Glory.

Impact is advertising that Austin Aries will be defending the title in Mexico this week. Also, they’ll announce the next Impact Hall of Fame inductee and Alisha Edwards will face AAA wrestler Faby Apache.

Verdict: This is an episode to keep your eyes on. I’m always curious the new venues for Impact - what’s their set up? how’s the crowd? Teasing a title match is always good. Plus they will look to get things cooking with their big PPV only a month away

Before I pick what I’d like to watch this week, I want to point out that if you assume the hour preshow for Hell in a Cell, figure the PPV itself will go the scheduled 3.5 hours it’s allotted on the Network, and assume 30 minutes for the MMC, WWE is putting out 13 hours of content this week. 13!

That’s insane!

OK on we go...

If I could only watch one thing this week, it’d be:

Hell in a Cell

This is a tough week. NXT has me very much looking forward to that title vs. title match. I’m curious about Impact’s new venue and how the Mexican crowd responds to the action. The Mae Young Classic should be very good.

But it’s not common that I pick against a WWE PPV. Despite not being able to get excited for many of them lately, this one looks like it has the potential to really deliver. The fact that it’s a smaller card than late and every match seems important is a big plus for it. Also, the Becky Lynch/Charlotte Flair story is one of my favorites so I’m very excited for their title match.

Let us know what you’d choose below.

There’s a ton of other wrestling out there and we can’t cover it all on here. So if there’s something you’re particularly excited for this week, let your fellow wrestling fans know in the comments.

See ya next week!

Continue reading...